Stephanie Dawkins- Persepolis

Persepolis was a very interesting read as I have never been a big fan of graphic novels. However, this one was pretty good and it has made me become open to reading similar books with similar styles. I love the way the Satrapi made the protagonist to be a young adolescent girl who deals with this horrific governmental situation. She was able to tell the story from her perspective; a perspective that many people would probably never know anything about if they did not read this novel. For me the book was kind of relatable, not so much of the “revolution” that was going on but definitely with Marjane’s connection to God. I as well believe in God and turn to him when things aren’t going right. My perspective of God however is different. Marjane can actually see him in front of her when she calls on him and that’s something that I have not ever done before. Also, Marjane lost faith in God when her uncle was killed. “Shut up, you! Get Out of my life!!! I never want to see you again! (70-71); that is also something that I could never see myself doing. I was always taught that God will never put you through anything that he didn’t know that you could overcome and when someone dies that is more of a reason to call on him even more and to ask him to guide you through the grieving process. All in all the book was good, different, but good.

Persepolis is a very sensitive book and I am not sure if I would teach the entire book but I would definitely pull a couple of pages from it to have my students work on. It would be extremely helpful for students who do not like to read and can use the graphics to help make it easier for them. I also feel like the novel would give them some information about what actually went on from a perspective other than what they would ever learn in a textbook.

Comments

  1. I agree with you on the shock of her telling God to get out of her life. I half expected him to show up again later but he doesn't seem to show up anymore in this version. I hope she gains her faith back because for her to be able to see him like that it must have been an extremely strong religious connection. Afterall, she even wanted to be a prophet, most people in religious sectors would never want that type of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Persepolis was very interesting. I too have never read a graphic novel that's been like this book, but the images really kept me interested.I do agree that the book was not really something that many adolescents could connect to. I agree that teaching a couple pages of the book would be good when reading this book in a classroom. I would pick out the parts that are easier to connect with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature