Niya Cephas-Persepolis

I definitely enjoyed reading Persepolis. Not only because I really like reading graphic novels but because it informed me on issues that I had no clue about. And seeing those issues through the eyes of a young girl made it even better! I definitely think the author used the pictures of the novel to paint a deeper meaning into some scenes. Such as the scene on page 120 in my online book (116 in the physical book) where Marji is looking down on a battle field with solders are being shot and killed left and right but if you don't pay attention to not only the 'big' picture you might miss out on Marji's thoughts and feeling of remorse. I do believe that through Marjane writing this novel as a graphic one it lets her audience get a different perspective on reading and interpreting images and get their creative juices flowing.

I also think that this book is in the same sense as Fallen Angels and Prisoner B-3087. Obviously for the reason being that its children facing tough and life-changing events. I often do wonder if adolescents reading these types of novels is beneficial as in the sense of learning about the racial or political issues that might be the topic of the novel. I hope that makes sense I just think that by reading these books it'll definitely give them an insight into issues but I also think that students should be able to get more insight into those issues as they are reading. All in all the author really did an amazing job at writing graphic novel surrounding real life issues but also putting it in the perspective of an adolescent. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature