Manette Tanelus: Religion Proposal

I intend to write about the importance of religion in young adult literature, and the fact that other religions have become more humanized, and better understood through young adult literature.

  • Essential Question: How important is religion important in young adult literature and how has young adult literature made unfamiliar religions relatable to Young Adult readers? 
  • Other Questions: What role does religion play in Crank? Could Prisoner have had the impact it did if the main character was not religious but one of the other groups being persecuted? Could Junior have been as relatable if he depicted his Indian religious beliefs more than his Christianity? Does the use of "God" instead of Allah in persepolis help reader relate to Islam more? Do readers realize that although Marajis is not as religious as the government forces her to be, she is still devoted to her Islam faith and makes many references to it throughout the book? Was faith in "God" able to help these children in the books ultimately? 
  • Through Reading these books I have become familiar with how different characters use religion as a source of strength and how many different religions we have been exposed to and related to during this semester through understanding them in the eyes of the characters as apposed to simply seeing them through our own lens of right and wrong. I have always been interested in religion and knew about many religions such as Catholicism, Islam, Shintoism, Judaism, and Hinduism through prior knowledge but these stories provide a unique perspective and I think educated some readers who had never really been exposed to those religions to that extinct. 
  • I selected this topic because I feel like America, especially in the south is very Christian. Although I personally am Christian I have gotten into many arguments where I defended other religions that were marginalized or defined by extreme groups simply due to people not understanding the parallels between these religions and not being able to relate God and Allah with Brahma. I think that it is wonderful that books like this are written for young adults to help people of younger age understand and sympathize with characters who serve other religions but are still very much like them. 
  • I plan to look at the role of God in Crank, Persepolis, Prisoner B-3087, and The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian. I think these book represent Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Aboriginal Spirits respectively in a unique way that taught us as readers new things. 
  • I plan to research similarities between these religions and the differences that have caused them to be separated among our world. As well, as each religion's idea of sacred practices, heaven, and how they bring strength or hope to followers. 
  • I plan to argue that these religions we have encountered through these texts are not only extremely important to the strength and self esteem of the characters but also provide the reader with a better perspective to the characters due to their similarities to Christianity. 
  • My greatest challenge will be to adequately summarize all my research, the text, my personal opinions and still make a well rounded and cohesive well supported piece. 

Comments

  1. "Although I personally am Christian I have gotten into many arguments where I defended other religions that were marginalized or defined by extreme groups simply due to people not understanding the parallels between these religions and not being able to relate God and Allah with Brahma"

    I feel you. I'm a Christian but I'm not a very conservative one. I like how you talk about how Marjane refers to Allah as God. I didn't even think of that, since Allah is a name for God. I do like the Muslim saying "Inshallah" meaning if God wills it.
    I've never thought about Brahma being a name for God.

    Props to you for sticking up for marginalized peoples! It can be pretty hard, especially with the social upheaval lately due to the election.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature