Stephanie Dawkins - Fallen Angels



I definitely began this book thinking that it would be a drag to get through being as though the book started off so weirdly and slow. However, the progression was amazing and provided me with insight on the emotions of soldiers fighting in the war. Many will agree that we don’t always get the truth when it comes to wars, we are often told the good (the little that does occur) and left in the dark about the bad. This book provides it all.


Throughout the novel, the protagonist, Richie often questions his purpose for being in the war. He questions the acts of those who are ranked above him because they are so concerned with receiving a promotion that they are not concerned with the safety of their soldiers and also shows signs of racism. “My plans, maybe just my dreams really, had been to go to college, and write like James Baldwin. All of the other guys in the neighborhood thought I was going to college. I wasn’t, and the army was the place I was going to get away from all the questions. I wanted to win the tournament, to walk away from the streets I had been raised in with my head high, a winner” (15). His intentions were always good but his reality turned out to be not so much. Richie begins a search for self and questions whether his enlisting in the army was a selfless or selfish move on his part. He wants to remain alive and often prays to god “God…what to tell God? That I didn’t want to die? That I was like everybody else over here, trying to cling to a few more days of life?” (289) but doesn’t know what he has to look forward to if he stays alive. He yearns for a relationship with someone who isn’t in the war; like a wife and children but comes up empty. The only people who really cares about him is his brother Kenny, his alcoholic mother, and his dear war buddy Peewee. Luckily for him, the care of these people and his determination allowed him to return to combat for a short period of time until he is injured and is ordered to return to the states.

Comments

  1. I agree that the beginning of this book began slowly and dragged. This was one reason why I did not care for this book. I like that the book showed the dark side to war as well because most of it is sugarcoated. I found it interesting how Perry committed himself to something that he later began to question. What message do you think that Walter wanted adolescent readers to attain from this story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this book pretty interesting. I didn't think the beginning dragged too much. I agree that it really presents the reality of war - there's the death of innocent people, accidental shooting of fellow soldiers, even an interrogation scene...
    Perry's relationship with God is pretty interesting. What did you think of how the need the soldiers felt for prayer was portrayed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that because of the beginning, I didn't know whether or not this novel would be interesting to me. One aspect i like,is how it makes you feel as if your fighting along side with them because, of the details included and their thoughts and emotions behind them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature