Fallen Angels Bonding

Overall I did not really care for Fallen Angels. I think the book was very descriptive and painted good images of what was happening during the war. I don’t think that I would teach this book to students because I feel it’s a book that adolescents can read in their free time if they are interested in the topic. I think it would be hard for many students to relate to this book if they are not thinking about serving in the army or if they don’t have family members or friends who serve or have served, and understand the terminology that’s used in the book. There are several characters that get mentioned in the book and I had to flip back and forth a lot to remember who did what and what significant role they played. I feel that Walter Dean did a great job at telling his story, and I think that because the story is written in first person, it makes it even more realistic, rather than it being told from the point of view of someone just looking in and telling the story.

            I think that my favorite thing about this book was the relationship that the protagonist Perry built with everyone he came upon, but mostly the one he had with PeeWee. PeeWee seemed to be Perry’s annoying brother who always had something to say. I think that the author wanted to include PeeWee as a figure that may have been the reason Perry lasted so long. Perry stated when writing a note to his mom and choosing not to talk about how his new friend had been killed, “Instead, I told her more about PeeWee” (46). From the very beginning, PeeWee was someone interesting to him and worth talking about. Then again on page185 when Perry says, “I started crying, and PeeWee got up and came to my bunk. He put his arms around me and held me until we both fell asleep.” PeeWee was always there for him. One message that I feel Myers may have wanted to relay to adolescents is that not everyone is mentally prepared for war at such a young age. There are many emotions and extra things that come along with it. 

Comments

  1. I was obsessed with PeeWee and Richie's relationship. They held hands throughout all the hardships, and that was such a gentle, and innocent act. I kept thinking that PeeWee was going to die not only because he was a bit over the top sometimes but because it just almost seemed to be too good to be true for him to gain one good thing from the war. Afterall, PeeWee even sends a letter to his mom! I am happy that they both made it out safe though

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the novel, Richie mentions how he wishes he had someone to write and go home to like a wife and children; however, I agree that PeeWee helped Richie to survive, and that he was the companion he needed. This means that, he was looking to have something of his own and something to look forward to once the war ended but he obtained the friendship that he needed , a friendship that could last a lifetime which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the relationship between Peeweee and Perry, and I especially love how Myers depicts a loving, male friendship because a lot of times platonic male intimacy is not shown in novels (or stories, in general).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the relationship between Peeweee and Perry, and I especially love how Myers depicts a loving, male friendship because a lot of times platonic male intimacy is not shown in novels (or stories, in general).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature