Frances Bowles - Persepolis

I really enjoyed this novel. I liked finally being able to read a text with visuals to see the characters expressions, and meaningful imagery that you don't get to grasp with reading the text only. The story was interesting from beginning to end. It kept my attention throughout; although, I would have preferred the images to be in color. I liked how Satrapi incorporated every aspect about what her home country was turning into; from the war, protests, the violence, and the fear that she and her family and friends obtained.
My question about this novel and in life, is because there's a war, why do the citizens of those countries have to suffer/why does it alter their lives?

However, I think Satrapi captured the YA perspective because, Marji thinks she can do and be anything she sets her mind to; "I'll be a prophet...I wanted to be justice, love and the wrath of God all in one" (8-9). This quote demonstrates how much she believed in herself, while also teaching YA readers that age doesn't matter especially when it's the "year of the revolution."

Comments

  1. It's always good when you finally find a book you can enjoy. I find it interesting that you said "Marji thinks she can do and be anything she sets her mind to." I didn't really think about that while I was reading the novel, but your post drew my attention to it. Persepolis would be great at teaching perseverance in the face of difficult decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature