Persepolis Blog Post

So I really enjoyed Persepolis. Coming from somebody who absolutely adored Maus in High School, the transition seemed easy enough. I was going to say that the change of setting was extremely refreshing for me, and being out of America and the American mindset was great. On Page 99, we see some of the altered points of view that these characters have. There's a key that's made of plastic and painted gold (something that's a good symbol on its own,) but the quote is, "They gave this to my son at school. They told the boys that if they went to war and were lucky enough to die, this key would get them into heaven" (99.)

This shows the completely different culture that the people in this graphic novel represent, and makes people wonder not only why it's weird to us, but it also gives us a strong example of a religious similarity (heaven) that we share.

Comments

  1. I think it also shows how extremist ideas are weird to most Muslims too. Her mom seems really surprised and outraged by the fact that they told the boy this. On the next page the mom explains that they told him that there will be plenty of women in paradise and her mother seems surprised by this. But her parents are pretty liberal and educated. Her mom seems to question the idea of a hell or a paradise period so maybe she isn't that Muslim? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this novel also. I thought it was an easy read yet interesting. I never thought of the key being a similarity of how we would get into heaven, but I see your point of how we would need something like faith to enter the gates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature