Frances Bowles- Crank

      Crank was very emotional to read. I felt mad, frustrated, and disappointed as if Kristina was my child; although, I cannot relate to this novel on a personal level, I think Hopkins really struck a chord in some. Her way of telling a story about her own daughter, definitely gave insight on what it means to not only be an addict but the parent of one. Kristina's mother was very much in denial that she was following into her father's footsteps; not realizing that her lack of awareness was noticed by Kristina even during her (silent) cries for help, that Bree didn't think she needed. "Bree insists on having things all her way...Kristina was still in charge. But Bree was watching" (Hopkins 244-245).

     What I like about this book, is that the story is written in the structure of a poem. It's fast paced, because of this I think it's easy as it is useful, for adolescents to read. Reading this book in a classroom can be a touchy subject; however, I think not discussing addiction or drugs in general does more harm than good. This means that if parents do not speak to their children about drugs being dangerous, nor are they allowed to read about them, some are more than likely to experiment for themselves. In addition, I would recommend this novel as being a prime example for signs everyone needs to be aware of and how to deal with the emotions along with it.

Comments

  1. I like what you say about this book "being a prime example for signs." It does reflect a lot of signs that are connected with Meth and drug use. I don't think I would teach this novel to Middle or early High School students, though. I feel as though this book is too heavy for a younger audience. But, in all reality, the topic of drugs does need to be taught, in both the classroom and the home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Crank was extremely emotional. I think it's great that you weren't able to relate, but you were still moved by it. The novel can be a great coping mechanism, or even a great way for adolescents to understand addiction. I also agree with you about the structure -- I flew through it in no time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature