Fabiana Lopez - Crank

I only found this book vaguely interesting, to be honest. I liked the main character Kristina's descriptions of things. I enjoyed reading a book in verse. I've also read Out of the Dust which is in verse and is an adolescent lit novel about a girl during the Dust Bowl.

I like how Kristina has this other side of her that she names "Bree." It made sense to me that she wants to explore this other side of her, wants her to come out. I could also understand how she ended up doing drugs, since she's exposed to that part of her father's life. I have a friend who was exposed to drugs through her father and her brother so I know that it's really hard to escape that life when it's part of your home life. When you're a teenager, your brain is still developing, so if you don't have someone who is a good guide then it's pretty easy to get into trouble. Teenagers can make impulsive decisions and drugs lower your inhibitions.

I was disappointed to some extent in the character, though, because it seems like she doesn't have a basic sense of self preservation. But through her pain in her relationship with Adam, I was reminded of what it's like to be a teenage girl and to want boys to look at you a certain way, to want to feel that connection with someone else.

Honestly I think Crank is a good book because teenagers who are struggling with those issues might be able to identify with Kristina. But they also might find it too close to home. Especially if they've experienced sexual assault, it can be triggering even to read about something like that. So I guess teachers could maybe have this on a book shelf in their class and offer it as something for students to read for independent reading. Students who have no experience with drugs might be curious to see what that kind of life is like.

Comments

  1. I agree with everything you're saying. But I'm wondering about the drug use message in this book. You say it offers "students who have no experience with drugs...to see what that kind of life is like" but is that kind of a negative advertising you think? From Kristina's view, the drugs are everything she has. It shows kind of the positives, but seems to lack the negatives in some aspects. I'd be too afraid to even consider this book in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found this book vaguely interesting. I like the way that the author chose to write it as well and feel as though it added more meaning to the book. She used very good descriptions and painted good imagery for readers. I also found the alter ego of Kristina and Bree interesting. I feel that the author made sure to add this in the story because many adolescents may have this same idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you included that it is hard to escape something when it is all around you, and honestly I hated her father for this. Teenagers do drugs all the time and sometimes it does affect others around and causes them to experiment with it until they become hooked on it, but I could never imagine a parent who has such a negative influence in her life and actually consumes the monster with her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature