Niya Cephas-Crank

All in all Crank by Ellen Hopkins was a pretty good book. Heavy and harsh for adolescents but I think that just adds onto the realness of the book. Maybe upper high school kids or maybe just seniors would be reading this book but any grades lower than that I wouldn't recommend it. If someone were to teach this book for lower grades I would probably suggest they take certain sections from the book and just study those because even for me at times the material got very heavy. But by this book being very realistic and harsh it puts the readers into perspective on just how terrible addictions can be to people, especially young adults. The structure and poem theme of the book added onto my interest because of how different many of them were. And not only that but how descriptive and poetic each of them were. 
I mean, I'd thought about the monster, dreamed about the monster, lusted for the monster, regretted knowing the monster, but I hadn't touched the monster in over a month. Hadn't even seen it. Thought I might be over it. Was it still alive in me? Could it still have such a solid hold on me?"
This quote really stuck out to me because it not only shows Kristina's serious addiction to meth but just how she personifies the drug as well. 
This book most definitely puts into perspective just how scary and life-threatening drugs can be. Not only was it poetic and different from other books we have read but it took us into a life of people who deal with this on a day to day basis. I think this book is a good read not just for upper high school-college range but adults as well. 

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you that the structure of the book made me more interested in it, as well! I also love your point you make about how the poems show Kristina beginning to personify the drug. I think that's a really good way to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The personification of the monster and the fact that she named it the monster is definitely something that I agree with as well because that just me to bits. It just made think of meth and how horribly it transforms people's bodies, and watching her talk about how she couldn't sleep for like 2 days at a time but then she would be like a corpse the next day. Like, no Thank You! I have a great hatred for drugs and how they seem to be taking over people's lives but this enhanced it as far as Meth is concerned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature