Frances Bowles -Fallen Angels

I think Fallen Angels was a good novel. It gives a closer look into what war is like from a first point of view, and the fear that comes along with it. It's a great book for adolescents not only because most characters are teenagers, but it gives a sense of reality. This means that war is sometimes taken lightly by people who have never experienced it; "I hadn't been too worried about going to Nam... the fighting was almost over, anyway" (5). War makes a person grow up and tests their capabilities, as well as their mindset, while pushing their endurment. In my opinion these are important aspects within the novel that YA readers need to be aware of in order to understand and appreciate all soldiers.

Overall, for me, what made the story relatable, was Richie mentioning that the army was an escape from having to answer questions about his future. I too have been ask that numerous times and try to avoid it until I know for certain. I enjoyed this novel and would recommend it.

Comments

  1. I liked the book as well. I believe that it gives a first person view on how awful war is. Also, good point on "war is sometime taken lightly by people who have never experienced it." I feel that is true for a lot of things - not just war. Throughout the novel, I felt the pain that Perry endured. Myers did an amazing job at connecting the audience to the characters (although I didn't feel as connected to Richie as I did to PeeWee). The future is a scary thing; Richie finding an excuse for his future is something that happens more often than not. That's normal in everybody's lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature