J Alan Ruff

               My name is Alan Ruff and I’m a Middle Level Education major with focuses in ELA and Social Studies.  I’ve postponed graduation by a semester so that I could complete my add-on certification for Secondary Social Studies as well.  My college graduation will coincide with my 25th wedding anniversary.  I’ve known my wife since we were in Junior High and we have four beautiful daughters ranging in ages from 23 to 8.
                I attended Upstate back in 1988 when it was still known as USC-Spartanburg.  I dropped out after my third semester because I couldn’t stand the thought of sitting in a classroom for another day while life passed me by.  I began working full-time, got married, had children, and established a professional career that I assumed would be my last profession. 
                When my youngest daughter began elementary school, her sisters challenged me to return to Upstate and finish my degree.  I was amazed that at my age they believed I could, and should, become a teacher.  Now, six semesters later, I realize it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

                I love to read and write.  I love to tell stories.  And I love watching others find their potential.  I can’t wait to have a classroom of my own where I’m afforded the opportunity to open a world wisdom and wonder to each of my students.

Comments

  1. The way you and your wife met is considered to be "relationship goals." I love the fact that not only have you been married for 25 years but your family has been your support system. I also admire that you decided to return to school and finish what you started; therefore, you would be a great example for your students to let them know that whatever you put your mind to you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely takes a love of people to be a teacher. I think the love of watching others find their potential is the sign of a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature