Lucy McElroy

Hi, my name is Lucy (not short for anything, just four letters and easy to remember). I'm majoring in Communications with a concentration in Mass Media. I transferred here this semester from USC Columbia, where I was a Visual Communications major. College is great. :-)

I was born in Maryland and lived there until the end of elementary school. My parents, two brothers, and sister moved to Spartanburg and I started middle school. The transition was a little bit of a culture shock, especially during such an awkward phase of life. Southern culture is worlds different than what I was used to in Maryland. I had trouble understanding what my teachers were saying sometimes because of their thick accents and I've never been great at initiating friendships. Plus, everybody already knew everyone and I was an outsider. I found a lot of comfort in books and writing throughout middle school.

Eventually, I adapted. I wrote for the high school newspaper and became the editor senior year. I guess that's where my interest in journalism was sparked. I enjoy writing in news format, designing pages, and graphic design -- basically, everything about newspaper.

I've wrote stories and drawn since childhood, but I've started painting only recently. To be completely honest, I'd rather be painting right now. I still read for fun, but not nearly as much as my pre-teen/teenage years. I'm obsessed with grammar, design, and color, and I enjoy working with kids.

My favorite book is The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, which is a phenomenal memoir in which Walls recounts her poverty-stricken childhood. I read it in one sitting sometime in middle school. Memoirs are my favorite to read, by far, because I love the emotional connection developed with the author. Memoirs of troubled lives seem to interest me the most, strangely. Tweak is a memoir about addiction that I devoured in a couple of days. I enjoy reading poetry, hearing poetry, and writing poetry, and my favorite type is Beat poetry, such as Ginsberg and Kerouac. My favorite poem is "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost, which is the product of my love for The Outsiders. It's the poem that started my quest to consume more poetry.

I'm excited to read and analyze some of the novels that I wanted to read years ago and never got the chance.


Comments

  1. Hello Hello Lucy!

    I transferred here from Cola too! Everything in cola was too hot and too big for me. And yo, I've changed my major 6 times but my SECOND major was journalism. The J-School was super cool. It is something i kinda miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on that! Columbia was entirely TOO MUCH. I like the classes here so much better, professors actually value your individual success. I do miss the J-School, though. Especially the building they moved into last semester. Crazy awesome technology and design in there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature