Christie Houck - The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

            I'm going to start this blog the way everyone else did.  I LOVE the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.  This novel was so well written and captivating that I accidentally read the entire book in one sitting.  WHOOPS.  I will admit that I was very skeptical going into the novel.  I’m one to judge a book by the cover, and it did not seem interesting to me.  Even the title kind of put me off to the novel.  So I heaved the biggest sigh I have ever heaved and opened the book.  How wrong was I?
            I loved the novel.  From the quirky tone of Alexie’s protagonist, Arthur, to the his every day struggles of social acceptance.  I related to this book because I had a friend just like this in high school.  He was autistic and had a hard time with bullying and being social.  I was kind of like his Penelope and helped him out of his shell.  He was rather poor, so I would take him to dinner and on dates.            Arthur was one of the most inspirational novel characters I’ve read of.  No matter his situation, he’d find a way to make light of it.  His intellect and his spirit was never crushed by any event.  Even when it came down to losing his grandmother, family friends, and sister, he somehow made a little light of the events that came to be.  This lighthearted tone and Alexie’s sincere comedy kept me hooked into the novel.
            I believe that this story is great for adolescents of today.  In a culture and society where everyone is now “politically correct,” the bluntness of the story reveals that issues beyond our own life exists.  The language and behaviors in the novel reflects the language and behaviors of today’s adolescents.  Shielding them from this novel doesn’t shield them from its contents.  Most adolescents today experience the same things that Alexie’s young protagonist did.  Racism, depression, loneliness, and alcohol abuse are all things present in today’s society.             All-in-all, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, is phenomenally
 put together.  I would suggest this book to every adolescent growing up, regardless of their beliefs, religion, and values.  It’s a wonderful novel with a deep, powerful message.  

Comments

  1. I'm super jealous that you were able to read the entire book in one day, you must really love to read. I think for you to have a friend like Arnold is very intriguing because it helped you to relate to the novel on a personal level. It's also nice how you would take him out, you sound like a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature