Sometimes it can only take 1 Reason, and not 13...


            13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher might be one of the most suspenseful novels that we have read for the semester. This novel may have not been one of my favorites just because of how the topic was presented or displayed throughout the novel. Though, I appreciate the awareness of bringing light to this issue, I just feel it could’ve been designed with a better plot that didn’t justify suicidal reasons because the honest truth is there is such a variety it is just impossible to narrow it into 13, and everyone’s situation may be different not concerning with others at all.

            I feel like I was so unmotivated to read this novel because the series ruined it for me which may I add I wasn’t too fond of as well. I think my major issue is how it drags out the plot of this tragic event and how we are entertained by things that led to someone killing their self, but luckily I was able to finish the book. Some major differences that I could see between the book and the novel would be the involvement of the characters. For instance, Tony I felt in the series was more a part of each of the tapes like he was following everyone that was listed on the tape and viewers we able to see how his character be more involved versus just being there in about two scenes in the book. Another difference would be with Hannah parents because they were actively involved throughout the series, but the novel doesn’t display any of that. I feel as if the book focuses more on the characters Clay and Hannah whereas the series gives viewers more about the characters. Honestly, while reading this novel I almost questioned if Hannah was a victim in every situation she recorded, or if she created those storms for herself. I dislike that this novel made me feel guilty of feeling that way, or being insensitive to issue like this because things such as this do happen.

            Overall, I am glad there was awareness brought to this issue that is becoming much more common in society and in the younger generation at that, I just wish it could’ve maybe been more polished before doing so. I’m not sure how I feel about bringing it into a classroom because of the issues I have with the plot, but I’m sure there is a way for it to be included in some sort of form.

Comments

  1. I totally agree with the points you brought up about Hannah. I think in the novel she's painted to be the one and only truth. Because Clay's character is so affected by her death and since he placed her on a pedestal, even his narration suggests that Hannah is always correct. This is one of the major reasons I prefer the show over the book. The show, in my opinion, does a better job of examining Hannah's faults and giving the other characters a fair chance at explaining themselves. In many instances the characters are not as damnable as Hannah paints them out to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature