Danny- Research Proposal

                     For my Critical Research Paper, I have decided to write about the queer community within YA literature. The following questions are what I aim to answer within my paper:
1.       Does a lack of queer representation within YA novels create heteronormality in the classroom and suppress self-discovery of those who are a part of the queer community?
2.       Do outsiders of the queer community understand what the queer community is?
3.       What is heteronormality?
4.       How can we bring about the discussion of queer representation with the classroom?
5.       Why is there a lack of queer representation with YA novels?
6.       How can we as teachers help students realize who they are?
This topic is near and dear to my heart, as I am part of the queer community myself. I grew up without reading a single book featuring a queer community member, so when I came to realize that I was gay, I was forced to go through the transition with little to no help. I was on my own in the process and I feel the need to explore why.
Some books that relate to this topic are:
·         Over the Rainbow (by Michelle Ann Abate & Kenneth B. Kidd)
·         The Perks of Being a Wallflower (by Stephen Chbosky)
·         Openly Straight (by Bill Konigsberg)
·         Geography Club (by Brent Hartinger)
·         Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (by Becky Albertalli)
Most of these books are YA novels featuring queer characters, but the first happens to be a series of essays about the lack of representation. I intend to incorporate these books to show the lack of representation and how that affects those that might be going through the questioning that comes with being queer. I will also use other texts that refer to inclusiveness in the classroom and the affects of heteronormality, an unknown factor that plays a large role in our society.
I strongly believe that heteronormality is causing queer representation to be lacking, and thus, restricting the ability to educate the youth about the queer community. I feel that I will find a lack of information on the topic and will struggle to craft a strong argument as a result.

Speaking of, if anyone who has read through this in its entirety and would like to participate in a survey, please click HERE to fill out the survey I created on my topic, which I will be incorporating within my presentation!

Comments

  1. I definitely never thought about the lack of homosexuality in YA books, and now i'm realizing. I'm really ready for your presentation on this topic! great choice !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're tackling this topic. All of your questions provoke interesting and meaningful findings. I agree that the books that include the LGBTQIA community are slim to none. If the community is included, it is in extreme/secretive conditions. I think you're going to have a great topic with plenty of research and answers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature