A Couple Reasons Why I Didn't Like 13 Reasons Why


            Before reading the book 13 Reasons Why, I watched the Netflix series and I somewhat liked it, but the book, not so much and now, I’m not too sure if I still like the Netflix series even after re-watching it. Don’t get me wrong, the series is decent, but I think my issue is with the storyline. I think this is because I get the feeling as though there is a lot missing in the development of the story and there is a lot more details I think that could have been added to the storyline and plot. Another issue I have with the book and the show especially, is the “build-up” to the suicide. It’s almost as if Hannah killing herself is the grand finale and this just doesn’t sit well with me. The show seems to be structured to create suspense and anticipation of the suicide at the end. Yes, the suicide is the highlight of the show, it is the main reason why the show was created but the way it was portrayed just doesn’t sit well with me. I even had friends tell me they watched the show and skipped to the end to see the suicide or only watched because of the suicide but this bothers me because suicide is not something to look forward to.

Another reason why I did not like 13 Reasons Why is the visual depictions of EVERYTHING, more so in the series that the book. The actual details of the suicide, the rape, the accident. I understand that we are meant to be shocked and aware that these types of bad situations really do happen but to me, it made me so uncomfortable while watching. The suicide scene in the series was so detailed, way too detailed in my opinion and it just shocked me. It is very graphic, and I feel as though it may have been a bit too much. Not to say that the visual depiction of the suicide would influence anyone to take their own life, but I just don’t think her actually getting the blade and cutting herself needed to be shown. I think this scene would still have the same impact by just showing her getting into the tub or just the blood or just what happened after.

The last thing I did not like it that there were no alternatives talked about or brought it. It’s like suicide was the only option for Hannah and yes, I understand that there may be a reason why it is like this in the show, but I don’t like it. What I got out of this is that suicide is the only answer to bullying and nothing else. I also didn’t like how the suicide seemed so simple. There is not always a list of reason of reasons, sometimes there isn’t a note or any logic behind it at all, sometimes it just happens. To me, the story-line is more so cause and effect and that’s not often the case in real life. It is like the show goes around the potential mental issues Hannah has.


Overall, I don’t totally dislike the book or the series, but I just wish some details were different. I would still teach this book in a classroom because suicide awareness is important as well as bullying, rape and alcohol and drug use. Teens need to read books such as this one because these issues need to be out in the open.

Comments

  1. I agree about the differences in the tv series and the actual book. I feel like I was so unmotivated to read the book because one of how this tragic event was dragged out on the visual end of it which seem to be the same case in the book. It's like this novel or story is justifying reasons to why a person commits suicide and we're reading it for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the show and book are different. However, I did find myself liking the book more after I washed a few episodes. I agree with KeyC that this book did make suicide look glorified and entertaining. It has grasped the attention of teens so quickly already but the topic of suicide alone never gets that much attention. This is a societal problem we should strive to fix.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature