13 Reasons Why- Comparison

Both the book and the Netflix adaptation of 13 Reasons Why, written by Jay Asher, show a heartbreaking story of a girl, Hannah Baker, who committed suicide. Although the book came out first, I watched the Netflix show first. I feel as this hurt the way that I read the book. I often hate watching the movie before I read the book because it tells you how you should physically see the characters, rather then allowing yourself to make up what you think they look like. This time it was different. I did not mind already seeing who the characters were while reading this book.
One of the most different things that I noticed from the two adaptations, was the point of view. In the book, it is primarily an intimate conversation between Clay and Hannah, while in the show, we see many different view points (not to the extent of Clay's view point). The show allows us to see how the before and after affects on the characters after they listen to the tapes.
I feel like one of the major differences in the book and the show, is that the show allowed people who do not like to read become aware of the hard topic that is discussed in this book. It allows all types of people to feel, see, and understand what is going on in some schools. I did not even hear about the book before the show and I think that the show allowed others, like me, to gain knowledge of this topic.

Comments

  1. Though I don't have the same experience in the order you were introduced to 13 Reasons Why, but I can see where it altered your perception. I agree that the show allows us to have the multiple perspectives of how the tapes effected each person. The show is a great, great adaptation (despite it having its differences). It does introduce these topics to people who are not avid readers. It is great that it helped you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature