Prisoner B-3087 -- Lindsey


Out of respect for the horrific nature of the events surrounding the Holocaust and all of it’s repercussions, I won’t say that this book wasn’t a good read, because I think anything we can read about the Holocaust that reminds us of the hatred and evil that occurred is worth reading and reflecting upon. However, I will say that this novel didn’t meet my expectations as defined by other accounts of the Holocaust that I’ve read. I think it’s certainly appropriate for 8th to 10th graders, because of the structure and language. I thought the writing was very clear, and I think it does communicate emotions, pictures, and themes clearly, as well. For example, when Yanek tells us that Amon Goeth “wouldn’t have his breakfast each day until he’d killed at least one Jew” it is immediately clear to the reader that the leader of the camp is truly evil, and Yanek is now being hunted, even after being caught. Gratz paints a picture that is easy to see using simplistic language and structure, and allows the action to roll like a movie in your head, which is a large reason I think the book would appeal to middle-schoolers. In that same scene, Yanek describes Goeth as a “madman on the balcony” and how the prisoners shouldn’t act as though they were “hurried” in getting through, because that would only increase their chances of being shot (72). The language in this book creates concrete images of events that would be completely abstract to an adolescent child in the 21st century. Because of this, I think the narration does a good job of creating a bond between character and reader. Another example of accessible imagery is when Yanek is marching to Auschwitz, and he describes what he thinks he must look like to the new prisoners. He claims that he had “ears that [stuck] out like donkey ears” (147). On Yanek’s march to Dachau, he describes how the Czech villagers literally threw “whatever they had” at the prisoners, and the image is both horrendous and touching (225) A simple simile, or a statement, can go a long way in solidifying an image, and I think Gratz targeted and achieved writing for an audience that would need assistance in picturing events that are not accessible to them in the slightest, in the hopes that it would enhance their awareness of history.
            Overall, I think the novel is an accurate and powerful account of a prisoner’s life in the Holocaust. I think it has jut the right amount of detail included without being impossible to read or to hand to students to read. I think that students would react positively to this novel, and it would stimulate discussion and higher-order thinking within the classroom.

Comments

  1. Lindsey, I thought the language/structure was for a younger audience as well. I agree that it was clear and concise on its meaning. I think it was rather accurate as well and it was not impossible to read. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature