Research Proposal

   For my research paper, I want to discuss teen pregnancy and the problems that come along with it. I want to talk about why this is a problem that can easily be fixed and why it's not being fixed. Teen pregnancy is a topic I'm very passionate about and I think it's a major problem in America and other countries I'm sure, but I specifically want to focus in on why teen pregnancy is so prominent in the southern states. My main question for this paper is, why are there still so many cases of teenage pregnancy every year considering all of the vast resources to prevent pregnancy that are available to us? Here are my follow up questions:
 1. How does the educations system, or rather the lack of education, relate to and possibly cause a rise in teen pregnancy?
 2. How can we inform teens about protection against pregnancy without having to rely on the school system?
 3. Is the main problem with teen pregnancy a lack of care amongst teens or the lack of sex education?
 4. Why aren't there more forms of media surrounding teen pregnancy?
 5. Do some teenage girls want to have babies at young ages? If so, why?

   I wanted to do my paper on teen pregnancy because I'm very passionate about women's birth rights, and I believe that teenage pregnancy is heavily related to that. With Trump in charge of our country right now, it's slowly going to become more difficult for women to obtain necessities such as birth control and access to the beautiful company known as Planned Parenthood. So far, Trump has already pushed employers to deny their female employees insurance plans that cover brith control. Over 55 million women in the US have access to birth control without co-payments and without the contraceptive coverage mandate, these 55 million women and counting have the potential to not be able to afford their birth control anymore. ( I'll link the article I got this from below) As we all know, there has been heavy backfire on Planned Parenthood ever since Trump started running for president and that hasn't stopped either. Although this may seem unrelated for teenagers, it's not. If parents of teens aren't able to get birth control, neither will their children. And if these kids aren't being educated on sex ed in the first place, how are they supposed to know how to prevent it? It may seem like common sense to us college students, but personally, I wouldn't have known to buy condoms since I didn't learn about sex in middle school. I wouldn't have known how pregnancy worked or where to get birth control and most teenagers aren't going to look for advice from their parents in this area, so who can they go to that they trust who is able to accurately explain sex related topics to them?
   Some resources I'm interested in looking into are Crank, by Ellen Hopkins, various database articles, television shows, movies, and even one first hand experience. The argument that I'm planning on making is that there are not enough resources available to teenagers on pregnancy, at least that properly discuss it and teach it in a way that they can understand, and that the the education system is seriously lacking in the sex education field and that abstinence courses are NOT sex education courses at all and are virtually pointless. I think I may encounter some challenges involving media representations about pregnancy that may seem helpful to teenagers, because as I know right now, there aren't many shows and movies about teen pregnancy that are spreading a helpful messages and are much more entertainment based. I also don't know of practically any books that discuss teen pregnancy. Thanks for taking the time to read this long post!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/06/us/politics/trump-contraception-birth-control.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature