Introduction -- Lindsey Dawkins

Hello everyone, I'm Lindsey Dawkins. I live in Laurens, SC, and drive back and forth to Upstate. I know interstate 26 really well! I'm a secondary education (plus middle) major, and my concentration is in English. In my spare time I read whatever I can get my hands on. Lately, I've been reading a lot in the mystery/thriller genre. I also like to eat Hot Cheetos, or go to Mexican restaurants, and nothing makes me quite as happy as a Venti Iced Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks.

I loved Sarah Dessen books when I was in high school, and my favorite was definitely The Truth About Forever. I was also completely and totally obsessed with The House of Night series by P.C Cast. I've always leaned more toward the dark and spooky, and that series had it all. However, my favorite YA book of all time is actually a relatively new YA book that I read around the beginning of this year: Feed by M.T Anderson. I carried this book around with me for days, and would just flip to a page and re-read what was there, and then just think about it. This book is wildly different than anything I've read, and it's wonderful. I'm telling you right now, if you haven't read it, go and pick it up. You won't regret it! I do, however, enjoy "grown-up" books, too. My all-time favorite book in the whole wide world (is that too dramatic?) is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's a huge, sweeping historical fiction masterpiece. I'm also a big fan of The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood, because it's written differently and it's message is mind-blowing.

Comments

  1. Hey girl! We definitely share some similar tastes. I also really love The Handmaid's Tale. I'd heard about it for years and never really got around to reading it until about a year ago but it's definitely so interesting and moving. It's crazy to me that it was written a few years before dystopian adolescent lit really shot into the spotlight and it's cool to see how that genre first started to grow. When I was reading it at first I was kind of put off by how outlandish some of the rituals/daily life of the society seemed to be but the more I read the more I saw how plausible the book was. I see a lot of teachers/students are taking the time to read this book and examine how it suddenly seems very very relevant, especially in today's political climate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature