Introduction - Kelsy Mckeown

Hey there! My name is Kelsy; a 23 year old Junior/Senior English student with a minor in Creative Writing and a penchant for bad spelling. I'm in my fourth year of higher education due to a change in majors and colleges two years ago, so it's a little up in the air when I will be graduating. One of my biggest wishes in life is to travel the world, a dream I've already taken steps towards, as I traveled to Nicaragua this spring. It was an experience I will never forget! My deepest passion however is story telling, in all its forms, and I hope to publish a novel or work on a film in the future!

My favorite YA book as of the moment would be Ready Player One. it's an interesting mashup of dystopian concepts and 80's aesthetics that appeals to me and my favorite cliches. The fact that it's getting a film adaption is wonderful, though I do have reservations about it; I'm not terribly keen on some of what I've seen in the trailers but i'll have to wait and see how it pans out. The book itself mentions all sorts of 80's era pop-culture icons, such as Dungeons & Dragons, Transformers, Joust, and nameless other classic IPs. Watching the story and character progress with so many nostalgic topics around them is a wonderful experience.

Looking towards the future, I plan to be a EASL/EAFL teacher ( English as a Secondary/Foreign Language ), and then perhaps a professor afterwords. My plans are to teach overseas, though I don't have a particular place in mind yet. I'm hoping this class will give me some deeper insight on how to teach, and specifically, how to get across the concepts in English written YA books that someone learning the language may have difficulty understanding.

Comments

  1. Hey Kelsy! I think it's interesting that you're the only student of our class that isn't a Education major. Really makes you stick out, which can be a very good thing. I'm jealous of your history with travel, as I have only traveled as far as Florida and have not even traveled outside of the country (though I certainly hope to change that)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature