A Real Look in the Mirror

 In the novel The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, at first, I had believed that I would have no interest in reading the novel only to be shocked that I feel I can strongly related to Arnold. I felt stronger emotion towards Arnold because I can really connect with some of the events that took place throughout his life of Arnold. Many different topics were introduced in the novel but the main two that I would like to focus on are Expectations and identity. Clearly, culture is race places a part in the 2 topics I have decided to discuss.

     While reading this novel, one of the main things that stood out to me in Arnold's life is that he lives life full of expectations. A few examples are how people on the reservations (specifically the Native Americans) life was someone already planned out. "Reservations were meant to be prisons, you know? Indians were supposed to move onto reservations and die. We were supposed to disappear." Pg 216. Arnold had also stated that the Native American people were drinkers and that's how they died. Not only were their expectations on the Native American side but there were a lot of different expectations from really everyone within the novel such as expectations with jobs, cultures, lifestyles, etc. Based on an real my life experience (and many others I assume) living your life through expectations is extremely difficult. 

   The next topic that I would like to discuss is identity. Everyone at some point and time struggles to find out who they are and whats their purpose. Well, in the book, it was to be look at like all Indians struggled with their identity, Specifcally Arnold.  It was as if every character in the novel didn't know who they were. Like lost souls looking for their bodies how I would put it. One part in the novel inpartically was when it seems as if Arnold can't identify his own emotions.  Identiy isn't something that is easy to find and actually a lot of people have trouble trying to find themselves. I'm living proof. The author, Sherman Alexie, made it clear that identity plays a huge significant role in someones life but just like Arnold, you have to make big risk to find out who you are and to understand yourself. 

Comments

  1. I do believe that there are certain expectations that Arnold was taught to live by. He was expected to stay on the Rez for the rest of his life and live there like everyone else, but he changed that. By changing what was expected of him, his identity took a turn. Because he went to Rearden, he struggled in finding who he truly was, but found that he could be both. Junior is still Native American and shares the same culture, but from his view there are aspects that make him "white," like having hope that he won't be stuck in the expectations from the people on the Rez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, especially about the identity struggles we see in the novel. It is clear that Arnold is really struggling with the many different sides of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about this book in this way as deeply as you have done here! I find it insightful that you find Arnold as living in accordance to expectations. As such, I find it telling how Arnold feels pressure to not only live up to the socioeconomic expectations from society, but family expectations and peer relationships like his relationship with Rowdy. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insight on the novel. I too think that Arnold had deep struggles with identity, as well as the expectations of being a Native American. I think this happens to so many children, and it is just not really discussed often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature