GET YOU SOMEBODY WHO CAN DO BOTH

 

Though adolescence is complicated and varies along with the individuals, there are a few widely understood and accepted issues that adolescents face. Physical and cognitive development, social and emotional internal and external conflicts, and community relationships all play pivotal roles in what I think is the biggest struggle amongst adolescents – identity. Given the titles of other books we will read, paired identity being a major theme of this book, I believe identity crises, or the lack of self-concept, will be common amongst the other protagonists. I have not read any of the other assigned books for this class before, so I am excited to see how differently they grapple with the same problem.

I connect deeply to Arnold’s struggles of staying true to where he comes from and being aware and hopeful that he won’t always be there. “‘You’ll be the first one to ever leave the rez this way,’ Mom said. ‘The Indians around here are going to be angry with you.’” (47) is one of the many quotes that hit hard, for me. As the first person in my entire family to be this close to graduating college, there are more people who look at me differently than are proud of me. I find myself almost constantly questioning, “What makes me so different?” “Am I actually able to do this?” “What’s gonna be said at the next family function?” While I have acknowledged that I had a great childhood, far from Arnold’s, I do have family members who aren’t as fortunate. We have completely opposite mindsets. I had someone, a “friend” of the family say to me, “Fuck is you thinking? Niggas don’t go to college.” That hit me hard, and now, I have a point to prove. I cannot imagine how that same idea would have impacted me when I was fifteen or sixteen and trying to figure out which college would be best for me.

I absolutely agree with Alexie’s portrayal of adolescents. Arnold’s lack of self-esteem and self-efficacy runs rampant in people – particularly during the earlier years of adolescence. I believe the earliest shift in self-efficacy for Arnold was when he conversed with his parents about hope, before telling them he wanted to transfer to Reardan; “… I said, ‘Who has the most hope?’ ‘White people,’ my parents said at the same time.” (45). Arnold knew there were people who did not live in poverty, and I think seeing them was essential to him understanding that he did not have to always live that way. Though it was a drastic change in his community, I believe some intrinsic motivation was also a result of his transfer. The portrayal of Arnold’s adolescence journey seems to be accurate because most, if not all of us, can relate to or recall incidents of bullying, lacking self-esteem, and uncertainty in belongingness. I would be thrilled to hear the stories of people who did not experience these common difficulties during adolescence.






Comments

  1. like you said in the closing paragraph that everyone has experienced some sort of bullying, lack of self esteem etc... which makes this so relatable for anyone that reads. To add on since i also am a black male i can relate to what you discussed. I am a first generation Male to go to college in my family so i understand the idea of having a point to prove and breaking generational curses. the idea of setting the standard for those to come after always sits on my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature