Meet you at the Boxing Gym

 


Throughout the course of the book, Starr was constantly internally fighting with the two sides of her and her life. Almost like a boxing match with Williamson Starr in one corner and Garden Heights Starr in the other. Depending on which Starr is present at the time, she always has half of her true self locked away from those around her. She does not want her Garden Heights side to come through while she is with her Williamson crowd, and she does not want her Williamson side to shine through with she is with her Garden Heights group. Her constantly hiding half of who she is catches up with her when her friend Khalil is killed and she wants to take a stand for him and those in her Garden Heights community. 

Me, being a white middle class female, found it tough to relate to many of the things happening in the book because I have never had to experience or be put through many of the situations that Starr has had to go through. I would say that the code-switching that Starr is constantly doing throughout the book was one of the only elements that I really had a connection with. My first two years of college, I constantly found myself having to code-switch and hide parts of myself depending on who I was talking to. I could not be the crazy girl who speaks her mind using whatever words she pleased or be so open and honest about things to my parents as I was with my friends. I found myself always having to hide half of who I was around my parents in fear of rejection and disappointment. As Starr said, "Being two different people is so exhausting. I've taught myself to speak with two different voices and only say certain things around certain people. I've mastered it," which is so true. (Thomas 301) It was super exhausting and difficult. It wasn't until my two worlds collided, and my friends asking why I acted so different with them when I was around my parents, that I had to make the choice to either never have my friends and my parents be together or let my parents see the half of me that I keep locked away from them. After much thought, I knew I would rather chance showing my parents how wild and crazy I was than to never have my friends and family come together with me. My parents ended up finding this side of me so happy and lively which is something that they say they missed about me from when I was little. Because of this choice that I made, I now do not have to worry about hiding pieces of myself in fear of being judged for all of me. 

To see Starr struggling with this kind of hit home for me. My situation definitely was not near as serious and large as hers, but it was just so nice that this was something that I could use to relate to her as a character. 

Comments

  1. Never hide your true self! I loved the comparison in showing your true self and how Starr eventually showed hers as well. She was able to find her voice and fight for what she believed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, friend! I love getting a little bit of your perspective as someone who doesn't relate much to this book. Your wild and crazy side that you keep away from your parents is just as much who you are as what you didn't show them. I'm super happy that chancing that worked out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you were finally able to open up and be yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature