Me Meeting A New Perspective

Boy Meets Boy' is the queer love story to add to your film list - RUSSH 

The short novel, Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan had introduced many realistic aspects of life within the LGBTQ community and the differences between reality. I believe even though the author gives an unrealistic viewpoint of school life in my opinion, I strongly feel that Levithan had done an amazing job with giving insight on sexuality since where I am from, it is known as a ‘taboo’ subject. Yes, there was a very stereotypical love triangle, but it was as if seemed as if the author was throwing other problems in the mix. An example is Tony and his family having a hard time accepting his sexuality because of their religion and then Noah’s parents being absent in a lot of things in their children’s life.

I would strongly recommend this novel for those who struggle to understand the LGBTQ community only because even though Paul was the main character of this book, I found more interest in Tony’s. I have experienced where religion shapes people’s opinions on certain things in life and for Tony, I can see that. I have lived most of my life where so many people were afraid to be free about their sexuality because of what people may think, say, or do and that just sadness my heart. Tony’s family reaction was the most overbearing thing. People sadly have this weird thing where they want their actions and beliefs respected but won't do it for anyone else, as it is seen in Tony. 

Another topic from the novel that I had noticed was how at the beginning of the novel, I had trouble understanding the novel. Like I had discussed with professor Tasha, I had struggled to understand the novel because, in a realistic setting, I had adapted to the situations that I was presented to. An example is that at my high school, LGBTQ wasn't really supported so in the novel, it was new to me that everyone was friends with one another. It was able to open my eyes to a new perspective.  The book was overall a very informational and interesting book to read. 

Comments

  1. Mikah, I as well had a hard time at the beginning of the novel, but by the end it gave me a different perspective as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature