Fresh Prince, Fresh Look

 The Hate U Give was pleasant read. Angie Thomas' story flow and writing made activism and racial battles riveting and approachable. There are so many elements of the book that I could address. I think that Starr's relationships with Hailey and Maya are highly important to Starr's identity. 

I relate some to Hailey and Starr's relationship: on and off again. There were moments that Hailey was just plain mean. I loved Lisa's quote: "If the good outweighs the bad, then you should keep them as a friend." Starr has a hard time letting go of her friendship with Hailey, but realizes how toxic it actually is. She wants to hold onto the sweet memories but the realities are too hurtful to salvage. In my experience with broken relationships, I tried so hard to keep the best of what we had that prohibited my own self growth.

I think it was very brave of Maya to bring up that incident to Hailey. She had hurtful things happen to her too. Many of the comments that Maya receives are ones that I have gotten. The memory from a long time ago still hurt. There are many memories that I have that have been related to my race and have hurt me. Maya also does a great job of being Starr's friend during all of the drama. She stands by her and sticks up for Starr. 

Friendships are a blessing and a curse. People will mess up, but it is how we take ownership is the make it or break it. Forgiveness is more than words; it's an action. You can't force someone to do it. 




Comments

  1. I love how you talked about Hailey because I feel like even though she is a big part of Starr's life she gets overlooked as to how mean she can be for them to be friends. When you talked about how hard it was for Starr to let go of their friendship, I feel like a lot of people can relate to that. It is super hard letting go of a friendship you want to work so bad but it is just too toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people can relate to the toxic friendship that is displayed, it's something that a lot of people go through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature