Split Decisions: 1 of 2

 


Something that I would like to focus on in the “Absolute True Diary of a Apart Time Indian” would be the idea of things such as categorizing multiple things that adolescence go through, or not even categorizing just the idea of the where an individual stands in society. I felt as though Alexie does a great job at covering a lot of social issues within the book. I feel as though he expresses and brings a good deal of attention/cultural awareness to Native Americans while bringing in topics that are relatable to many adolescent children. To me I felt as though the book was very informational yet added a since of child like presence, as the main characters were centered around young children. That element made the book very easy to read and quite enjoyable.

                Arnold also known as Junior, like any other young child is still trying to figure out his sense of belonging or who he is. For example, in chapter 8 (p.51) Arnold clearly states this idea when he says, “My name is Junior,” I said. “And my name is Arnold. I’m Junior and Arnold. I’m both.” I felt like two different people inside of one body. No, I felt like a magician slicing myself in half, with Junior living on the north side of the Spokane River and Arnold living on the south.”’ Its like having a nick name and living in a neighborhood where everyone knows you by that name. whenever you go out into the world you go by your government name. another point that can be tied in with this is when Arnold says, “Traveling between Reardan and Wellpinit, between the little white town and the reservation, I always felt like a stranger. I was half Indian in one place and half white in the other. It was like being Indian was my job, but it was only a part-time job. And it didn’t pay well at all” (p.99).  I recently read an article written by Dubois where he explains the idea of the veil. He also talks about double consciousness which I think falls right along the lines of this book. “Striving of The Negro People” by Dubois talks about how African Americans or DuBois himself put up a veil to fit into society or how they are viewed through societies eyes. As I mentioned the two are similar topics although they are different cultural aspects. As many of my classmates have stated this book was very relatable for me as well. It was interesting to read from a different cultures aspect which was in a way similar to my own.



https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1897/08/strivings-of-the-negro-people/305446/



Comments

  1. I also had felt an interest towards Arnolds journey because to me the entire novel was a journey for Arnold to find himself, which a lot of people struggle with, including me. Alexie made sure that we were able to better understand not only Arnolds life, but the life of the people around him who were also struggling with themselves (identity) and how people struggle differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed this throughout the book. I think you did a great job identifying how Arnold feels and helping the reader see that throughout your work, here. I love the graphic that you chose that shows the reader the split identity that he feels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This duality also goes by the name of 'Double Consciousness' in some circles. Arnold is doubly conscious of his life in white Reardan and his life on the Spokane Reservation, and as you noted, struggles to balance them and otherwise place his life how he wants/needs to. He does achieve this, but not before experiencing a great deal of pain and suffering.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature