Picture Not so Perfect

 

 

     As you can probably guess from our classroom discussions, my absolute favorite element of "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" is the illustrations. I have never read a novel with pictures that so beautifully (and not so beautifully) capture what the author is trying to say. The illustrations in this book will make you laugh, cry a little, and even just take a minute to pause and reflect. We are already getting such a deep dive into Arnold's life and the many emotions he is feeling, but being able to see them actually drawn out is so fascinating to me. Just like Arnold said, "when you draw a picture, everybody can understand it" (Alexie 5). 

    Right off the bat, we are introduced to Arnold's love for drawing, "I draw all the time. I draw cartoons of my mother and father; my sister and grandmother; my best friend, Rowdy; and everybody else on the rez" (Alexie 5). It is very clear from this statement alone that he views drawing as escape from the world. In the crazy life that he lives, drawing allows him to take a minute just be himself. Going off of that, we see too that Arnold is drawing with a greater intention -- his future. "I feel so important with a pen in my hand. I feel like I might grow up to be somebody important. An artist. Maybe a famous artist. Maybe a rich artist" (Alexie 6). We know other parts of the book that Arnold almost feels as if he is destined to be poor because he is an Indian, "And because you're an Indian you start believing you are destined to be poor" (Alexie 13). He believes that drawing can be his way out of this lifestyle and only chance to escape the rez. 

Comments

  1. I too wrote about the illustrations within the novel. The illustrations really help us understand the message that Alexie is trying to put out without being limited by words to express himself. Most of us have come from all different backgrounds, but the use of these illustrations really helps us to understand him and relate to him and the way he is feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am able to 100% agree with you on the illustration. Like Arnold had stated in the beginning of the novel, he speaks through his drawings. The illustration honestly help me understand have Arnold felt emotional rather than physically because throughout the novel, I rarely saw a part where Arnold would express himself emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some others would question the need for illustrations in the book, but I would like to think that the illustrations (both more professional and less) give a better glimpse into Arnold's mind than just his words. The also show a progression and development of Arnold as he experiences adolescence more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved the illustrations in the book. The words definitely give us a good sense of Arnold's view of things, but the drawings almost bring the words to life. It helps the reader to really understand how he sees things; the good, bad, and tragic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature