Boy Meets Unrealistic World


 As I started reading the first few paragraphs of Levithan's Boy Meets Boy, I stopped and started scanning through the proceeding pages, because I thought the narrator, Paul, was dreaming of the world he was describing.  I do not think this book is a realistic portrayal of how LBGTQ teens lived, especially during the time this novel was written.  I do think that how Paul, the narrator, navigates teenage issues, and the issues brought up in the novel are realistic.  The way that Paul's relationships with Noah and Kyle were depicted did make myself, as a reader, think of the relationship's as "normal" heterosexual teenage relationships.  The rumors and gossiping were definitely realistic as well.  

Tony struck a cord with me and really caused me to start to think about everyone that I know, and have known since I was younger that are part of the LBGTQ community.  His character did make me think back to all of my friend's in high school that were LBGTQ.  I have so many friends that hid their sexuality all throughout high school, but thankfully, they were finally able to have the strength and confidence to come out.  It was very much less spoken about and accepted as it is now. I loved my friends no matter what, but it did make me more aware of the way they felt during high school. Tony felt rejected by his parents, but thankfully, because of friends like Paul, he was able to find his place, and also because of Paul, Tony was finally able to face his parents, and his parents, in their own way, start to accept him. 

 I do think it would be wonderful for our world, especially for teens, to feel as comfortable with their sexuality as the characters in this book, but I do think that overall it is very unrealistic.  

Comments

  1. I had the same thoughts when first reading it as well, and I struggled a bit to find how it was realistic in the first chapter or so. Although it is a more perfect world, the feelings and reactions in the book are still realistic just as the portrayal of relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that this novel is highly unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature