Wintergirls: Triggering Eating Disorder Tendencies in Many Readers. Critical Response Research Paper

 Essential Research Question: To what extent might Wintergirls make readers develop disordered eating tendencies?    

Focus questions: 

What does Halse Anderson feel about eating disorders?

What prior study did the author do to try to keep the reader from wanting Lia's lifestyle?

What events/plot conventions make Lia's eating disorder appealing?

Does Lia's story often have the opposite effect on readers than what is intended?

What do critics say about the book? Do they think it can reinstate eating disorders?

Eating disorders are sicknesses that impact so many people in our world. I know that those affected often begin their disorder as a goal to lose weight, but this is done in an unhealthy manner. Often, this becomes an addictive cycle that is done in many fashions. I know that disordered eating can vary on the range of severity- though all eating disorders are serious. I did not know, however, that one can physically kill themselves from an eating disorder. I always thought that eventually you would reach your breaking point and your body would force you to eat. I really didn't know that many die from eating disorders without thinking they need help. This really shocked me.

Throughout my reading of Wintergirls, I found that the novel can be triggering. For someone who might have an issue with disordered eating, it is very easy to take the ideas Lia thinks and apply them to your real life. I have never considered myself someone who struggled with my eating, but I began to think in the mindset of Lia. Personally, I sat down to dinner and thought "Lia would never eat this, let alone look at it. I shouldn't eat this much food". In reality, the food was healthy proteins, fats, and carbs. Yet, I found myself thinking the WWLT "What Would Lia Think" without realizing it. Lia's character is a character that sticks with all of us- even if we don't have disordered eating patterns. My concern is that the novel can run the risk of causing someone to have disordered eating patterns or resurface these issues, even though Lia's story is everything but glamourous. 

Titles of books related to the topic: 

Wasted by Mayra Hornbacher 

Thinspo by Amy Ellis

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Resources that will be used: academic journals about the glamorization of eating disorders, critiques from readers about Wintergirls, and interviews with the author. "

'Wintergirls' By Laurie Halse Anderson Made My Eating Disorder Worse — And I'm Not The Only One" by Ellen Ricks 2019

https://www.bustle.com/p/wintergirls-by-laurie-halse-anderson-made-my-eating-disorder-worse-im-not-the-only-one-15649710

Claim: Reading Wintergirls makes eating disorders worse and can trigger disordered tendencies in those who don't have an eating disorder. 


Challenge: The book covers many difficult topics, and the author made sure the content of her book wouldn't cause controversy and painted disordered eating in a glamorized way. Possibly, if you struggle with an eating disorder, you should not be reading a book like this to avoid being triggered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature