Critical Research Topic Proposal

 Essential Research Question

  •  Can family abandonment lead to eating disorders in adolescents? 

Focus Questions

  • What does one and/or both parents leaving the household do to a child's mental state? 
  • What are the common reasons adolescents give for developing an eating disorder?
  • What, if any, forms of trauma can lead to eating disorders? 
  • Do children who have a family member abandon them often feel like it was their fault?
  • Are there cases where adolescents feel as if they "deserve" to have an eating disorder? 
    Based on what I've already learned, I know that there are definitely cases out there of adolescents developing eating disorders due to a family member abandoning them, normally at a young age. I'm not sure what the statistic are for it yet, but I hope to find that out during my research. I know that trauma can often lead to eating disorders and that having a parent leave the household can often heavily traumatize a child. 

    I selected this topic because I've seen many people struggle with eating disorders and a few of them did deal with complicated family situations like not living with their parents or having one parent leave them at a young age. I feel that there is definitely a link between the two and I want to dive deeper into it and learn the root of it. 

Books That Deal With This Topic
  • Wintergirls -Laurie Halse Anderson
  • Paperweight -Meg Haston
  • Empty - Susan Burton 
  • Girl in Pieces - Kathleen Glasgow 

    I plan to use some of the books I mentioned and different articles or memoirs that discuss this situation.
   

    An argument people might propose for this topic is that eating disorders are only a choice. People often don't understand that many people with eating disorders struggle with lots of mental health issues. 


    I do not think I will have many challenges with research for this topic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature