Who will be you if you're being somebody else?

How does lacking a concept of self impact adolescents academically?
    
    1. What are some different aspects of one's self?
    2. What influences the way adolescents see themselves?
    3. Who influences the way adolescents see themselves?
    4. Are some influences greater than others?
    5. What can adolescents do to have greater control/sense of self?
    6. Do talents contribute to sense of self?
    7. How can teachers provide opportunities for students to discover self?
    8. What are negative implications for adolescents who lack self-efficacy?
    9. How do authority and self-efficacy collide?

I know that there are different aspects of self. I've learned that self can be broadly broken down into three ideas: self-efficacy - what does one think they are capable of achieving, self-esteem - how does what feel about who they are, and self-concept - how does one see themselves.

I chose this topic because I struggled with self-identity as an adolescent. I still do sometimes. Through teaching and coaching, I work closely with adolescents, and one of my greatest goals for my teaching is for students to leave my classroom knowing more about who they are and are not. Teaching and learning content will come naturally because we all show up to the classroom. Learning self does not always happen. Having teachers who help students learn themselves would drastically improve the quality of lives individually and as a community. 

Titles
    Bluford High Series
    The Hate U Give
    Sold
    Beastly
    Holes

I plan to use scholarly articles and primary research (survey and interview teachers and teens)

Claim: If adolescent students had a better concept of self, their academic achievement would greatly improve.

I believe the biggest challenge with this will be finding narrow and specific sources because identity is such a broad topic. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature