Critical Response Research Paper

 How does Y/A literature represent depression among adolescents? 

1. How can we use bibliotherapy to help students heal and recover from depression?
2. What are other Y/A sources that address adolescent depression?
3. What effect can adolescent literature have on students and their mental health?
4. How can English teachers and guidance counselors work together, using bibliotherapy, to help students with depression? 
5. What kind of implementations could a classroom have to safely help students recognize their need for help in their depression?
6. What sources and outreach can students access and feel comfortable using to share their depression concerns?
7. How can Y/A literature offer depressed adolescents solidarity and an understanding that they are not alone in their depression?
8. How can we use bibliotherapy as a way to help students to identify an effective coping mechanism? 

Overview and Prior Knowledge: 
- With the rise of adolescent anxiety and depression, youth literature has broadened its topic from romance to address adolescent mental health and its long-term effects on students.
- Students will only address their mental health with someone who cares, whether a peer or a trusted adult. 

The Why Behind the Paper:
As a former adolescent that struggled with depression, I would like to help be an advocate for students. I have firsthand experience with both good and poor responses to mental health, and I think it is super important to spread positive awareness for depression coping. I want to be educated and educate others on this topic and how to help students heal. 

Literature Based on Adolescent Depression:
It's Kind of a Funny Story 
Dear Evan Hansen
Holding Up the Universe
Turtles All the Way Down 

Resource Discussion: 
Many of the resources I found were on either adolescent depression or depression bibliotherapy. I was sad to not find any that combined all three of my topics. Most of my resources will be used to back my claims and educate me and my readers on how we can best help students in their mental health. 

Claims and Blames: 
I think that current literature has begun to effectively address depression accurately. It lacks the success of moving past depression for the beholder. It's Kind of a Funny Story was one of the only books I found that the character made the positive shift without the loss of a friend or family member. Not that death wouldn't help the character heal. I just think that it helps to have all the characters present to see the healing. 

Challenges: 
I can see many challenges going to this research paper, but I am a "plan for the worst scenario" person. One of my fears is that I will get off-topic and go on a whole other topic, partially involving one of my titles. Another one of my fears is that readers will think my writing is inauthentic. My last fear is that I will not adequately convey my passion and concern for this topic. My biggest goal as a teacher is to help students advocate for their needs.  


the outreach is the bibliotherapy 
there is nothing wrong 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature