The Hate U Give

Angie Thomas’s The Hate U Give is such an inspiring novel, so I feel that this is a great reading selection for an English classroom. I feel this way because not only does it allow readers to look at the situations presented in this novel from a different point of view it also is a leading gateway for an important class discussion. The personal connection I have with this novel is the way the main character Starr expresses her feelings of the innocent people who are and have been targeted by police and society itself. I agree with the author's portrayal of adolescence because she allows the characters to go through real-life struggles that sadly many may be able to relate to. Adolescents manage code-switching by studying how the crowd they are around at the time acts and knowing when and when not to say certain things or act a certain way around them. I am not sure how we can overcome stereotypes, media bias, and institutionalized inequities because although topics like such are presented often, these problems are still not changing so it all comes down to who you are as a person, to me. One quote that I like is “I can’t change where I come from or what I’ve been through, so why should I be ashamed of what makes me, me?”(489) This quote sticks out to me because it can inspire many African American readers and also readers who feel like they don’t belong, to love themselves and be comfortable with who they are and where they’re from.

Comments

  1. I agree with you. I think this is a great novel to use in the classroom because it can lead to so many discussions. It also can help create open minds and show students a different perspective. It can also help students see the main character work through an identity struggle. Some of the students in your class may also be working through that same struggle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature