Enrique's Journey

In class, we discussed a lot of questions but one that stuck with me was just how unaware we are about immigration policies and even further, illegal immigrants. I'm researching why adolescent literature revolves around controversial or sensitive topics and I hadn't previously added Enrique's Journey to sources I wanted to pull from, but I think it may be a good one. I know growing up we learned about Ellis Island for like two days but other than that, it wasn't until college that immigration was ever discussed in my educational career. Maybe incorporating this book in the classroom would be a good way to incorporate more of a discussion surrounding immigration. I'd like to know more about why people come to America. Why not Europe? What drives them to come (good and bad)? After just reading the beginning of this book, I'm drawn to understand more about immigration and policies surrounding such. Is it just me that doesn't feel "in the loop" on our governments involvement in immigration besides the fact that Trump wants to build a wall? I don't know...

Anyway, I know that the mom goes to America to provide a better life and all that but where is the limitation to what we do and don't let our children in on? Like she knew, as described on pg 3 all about the effects that would take place because of her actions, but still didn't leave a note of any explanation or anything. I know as I got older, I've questioned some of my moms decisions and I know every parent "does their best" and we are supposed to just trust in that but I think family is a huge part of who we are so if we don't completely understand them or lack in a relationship with them, then in a way we are missing a piece of ourselves (even if it's a small piece).

I also like how we discussed how when parents are deported, but children are allowed to stay, how does that affect adoptions in the U.S.? Like for real, what does the government do with those children? And do they have the choice of staying or going? What rights do those children in those situations have? In the beginning, the author writes, "he will become on of an estimated 48.000 children who enter the United Stated from Central America and Mexico each year, illegally and without either of their parents.I think the description of dynamics given all throughout illustrates how the various waves of immigration have resulted in real people becoming statistics. On the news, we here that there are 48,000 immigrants coming into the U.S. illegally. We don't get to know they are children without a home or parents. This is why I think this book is so important and I think it would be a good idea to have a publication of many stories like this to help those in politics to make non-bias, well informed decisions.

Comments

  1. Ally,

    You've mentioned some great points and questions in this blog. I have to agree that I also don't remember much at all about immigration until I got to college either, which is weird. This shows that books like these are very needed for our knowledge considering there is not much more we will learn unless we do the research our selves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature