Maus.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through Maus. It was my first time ever reading a graphic novel, so it could be confusing sometimes with all the text bubbles. Sometimes when multiple speech bubbles were in one panel I would find it difficult to know who was speaking first. Also, while I love the art style the amount of black on the page could be overwhelming and distracting. Now with all of my gripes out of the way I'll talk about what I enjoyed about it.

I think that this is a perfect way for young adults to learn more about the Holocaust in an engaging way. For some students history could bore them and the idea of reading a historical fiction book could be terrible for them. However, with this engaging text type it can help engage young learners or readers in a subject matter that they would not typically enjoy.

Something else that I really enjoyed was the story telling. I thought that the idea of having the main character be interviewing his father about the Holocaust for a comic book was genius. Having the sub plot of the father and son strained relationship was smart. I thought that as he told the story more and we get to see what he experienced we gained more context to why he is the way he is and why he has such a strained relationship with his son. I also think that the artist direction of making them mouses was a good idea to broaden the range of readers for it. I think that if the only difference was that they were people instead a lot of children would be put off by the book and subject matter. It was a good was to broaden to a little bit of a younger audience without sacrificing the older readers as well.

I thought Maus was really fun to read and I am not against reading another graphic novel if it is the right subject matter.

Comments

  1. I agree! I think that a graphic novel would be a 'more fun' or interesting way to learn in class. Would you want to include a graphic novel in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature