Dueling identities

While reading "The Hate U Give", I was amazed how Angie Thomas created a character that so many African-American adolescents could relate to. Police brutality and reclaimed identity are major themes shown throughout the novel that we witness Starr approach and tackle, but I feel the true gift to readers is understanding the importance of "dueling identities". Starr is a perfect example of simply just wanting to fit in with her surroundings, and the cost of that is giving up pieces of herself to conform to the expectations of the "other" group. Code-switching is very common and reading this novel helped bring to light how emotionally, and mentally draining it is to operate in this behavior. Code-switching in this novel is a survival trait that Starr must master if she wants to live a life where she has control over who she is and how the outside world see hers. Starr is very careful with her behavior and claims that her  "...voice is changing already. It always happens around “other” people, whether I'm at Williamson or not. I don't talk like me or sound like me. I choose every word carefully and make sure I pronounce them well. I can never, ever let anyone think I'm ghetto." Reading this further proves how racism and stereotyping is still widely used in American and how we should continue to create and promote diversity in YA literature. 

Comments

  1. I think Angie Thomas did a great job at portraying code switching as well. Most people code switch even if they do not realize it. People do not act the same around their parents as their friends. We do it without thinking about it because as humans we want to fit in with our environment. I think this novel is a great way to promote Y.A. literature because of the diverse perspective it gives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature