Research Topic

My research question is:
"How do middle level educators address sensitive topics without overstepping their bounds?"

My focus questions would be:

  1. How do you address the topic of sex?
  2. How do  you address the topic of sexual-orientation?
  3. How do you address the topic of mental illness in the classroom?
  4. What do you do when a parent says they are not okay with the topics being discussed in the classroom?
  5. How does a teacher not impose their opinion on the matter onto their students?
I know that these topics must be addressed in a classroom because to avoid them is not doing our job as educators. If we want to build up student who can think for themselves and look into the facts of an issue before forming an opinion, then we must start that in the classroom.

I have selected this question because it seems like most often, sensitive topics are avoided in the classroom or not addressed in a fair way. I think that The Hate u Give, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian, and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe would be good books to use in a classroom.

I plan to use resources like the Teaching Channel and scholarly journals. I see the challenges of the issue being mainly that there are differing opinions on all major discussion topics. I will have to set aside my biases to clearly address the issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature