Prisoner B-3087 Manette Tanelus

I thoroughly enjoyed this book because it was honest and gruesome. My two favorite parts of the book was the use of onomatopoeias and how much the holocaust changed Yanek for the better. However, I do have an uneasy feeling about his identity by the end.

At the beginning of the story Yanek was such a hopeful and happy child, but as the chaos starts, so does his insightful onomatopoeias. For example, when the Germans first came he stated "there was a BOOM, and my mother's teacups rattled in their saucers" (5).  He later goes on to say, "My father hurried to put his coat on over his pajamas to go and help put out the fire, but a loud crack! from the street brought me and my parents to the window again" (12). His use of this figurative language provides the fearful tone associated with this time in his life, as well as provides the reader with anticipation. It also fits his age, and adolescents because in an adult novel this form of writing might not always fit or seem like the way an adult would think intrinsically.

His experience in the Holocaust although tragic did change Yanek for the better. It made him a more resilient and strong person. Adolescence is such an important part of our lives because it allows us to essentially morph from child to adulthood, and what happens during those years often creates defining character traits. Having lived through the Holocaust Yanek learned how to survive at all cost. It is these qualities that allow him to emigrate to a new country like America and thrive, as well as survive the vietnam war. At the end of the book he states "For nine years I had done everything I could to survive. Now it was time to live"(256). I think that we never really stop surviving and start living. Life is a journey filled with both, otherwise it would not be as worthwhile as it is. Lastly, I am not really of the fact that he changed his name to Jack Gruener. As an immigrant, to me identity and name is very important. A name like Yanek tells a story of a German Jew who survived, but a name like Jack Gruener sound like a humble Vietnam vet from the US. I do greatly appreciate the fact that he was saved and given a new life by Americans just as other people have, I simply wish he could have kept his name because I think that is just as important when it comes o identity.

Comments

  1. I like the point you made about how his figurative language adds to the prospect of his not being an adolescent. I agree that he is not an adult through this novel, but the decisions he made from the situations he faced were very adult. For example, when they were all hiding in the coop during the Nazis' raid of 7,000 jews, Yanek argued against leaving saying "We can't trust them! It's a trick" (52), he did not realize that this was the right decision. If he decided to go, he would not have survived the war - it was buying the extra time that saved him. And again, I agree in that the Holocaust made a change in Yanek that was for the better; however, do you think these events lead to ALL good changes for Yanek? Yes, he is now resilient and strong, but what about other issues that arise from his experiences in the camps. To what extent do you think those traumatized him beyond the book?

    Also, on the topic of Names, I agree. I was upset that he changed his name. It almost seemed discriminating to me - but Yanek didn't seem to view it that way. It was great that he came to America, but just because you change the name doesn't mean you can change the past to a victim. I love that thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the point that you made about his use of onomatopoeias throughout the novel. I also stated that although he was not an adult (although he considers himself a man based on their religion) he does make some adult like decisions because he knows that he has to or it will be more likely for him to be killed. Like Christina says, he does buys himself a lot of extra time. I enjoyed where he had to make the decision to tell them that he was in fact 18 and was capable to work, although he had many opportunities to die, he never took the easy way out. He worked hard to make sure that he was not targeted to meet death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picking up on his use of onomatopoeias was really sharp. I know it's already been commented on, but I think it really captures how much of a child Yanek really was when all this happens. He's not old enough to even have the vocabulary to describe what's going on around him sometimes, and I think that's a really powerful thing once you realize it.

    Good job, Manette!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature