Keyona Davis- Rebellion in Adolescence

Overall I enjoyed reading The World Made Straight. Reading the book it felt really modern and I liked that it talked about historic events that happened not too far away from here. The movie was not as great as the book in my opinion because it left out details that the book did provide to make the story understandable. I did not have many questions about the text particularly, but I had several questions that came to mind when I began thinking about why certain characters acted or did things the way that they did. I feel as though Ron Rash did a marvelous job at portraying adolescence. The protagonist of the story, Travis, is a young boy who comes off to me as a rebellious child, but for some reasons that he wish were resolved. For example, near the beginning of the story, Travis drove home with the plants not intending to stay home long, but his father tells him that his mom is making dinner (pg.10). Travis then says to him, “I ain’t got time. Shank’s expecting me.” (pg.10) His father then tells him that he will make time, and Travis has to stay. This part of the book shows where Travis’s priorities really are. It is evident that it’s not with his family but instead with his friends doing what he wants. I think Rash wanted to show how adolescents are rebellious of family at a certain point in their lives, and get so focused on being around their friends and doing things that they know their parents wouldn’t approve of. I believe this to be true in today’s society as well.

            Then later on in the story when the protagonist has moved out of his house and with Leonard, he says that he can’t imagine his father taking advice on anything, much less on how to raise his own son (pg. 95). Readers can see from this statement that Travis has this issue with his dad, and doesn’t feel as though he’s been a part of his life like a father should have been. I think many adolescents go through this stage in their lives as well where they feel as though their parents have not given them the attention or love that they yearn for. 

Comments

  1. I think you're right, that Travis's family doesn't play much of a role in his life. They certainly aren't mentioned much in the book and even at the dinner that Lori sets up for them, he barely speaks with his mom and sister before leaving. So I get the sense that they may not have been very close even before he moved out. Though his mom does seem to miss him.

    I think Travis's dad in general isn't very affectionate. He probably views being a very stern parent and being distant as being necessary to making Travis grow up to be strong. But of course, kids also need affection from their parents. I liked that in the novel, Rash showed how Travis feeling unappreciated and like people always expected more from him led him to acting out. I felt that was pretty realistic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature