Niya Cephas-The world made straight

I was thinking that I would enjoy this novel since I wasn't too fond of Caramelo but alas that wasn't the case. I wasn't interested in this novel and in my opinion I think it was very hard to read but I guess that's mostly on my part because I couldn't get immersed in the book. This was basically because I couldn't relate to the main characters or any of the characters in general. Travis being a problematic teenage boy getting involved in trouble and not knowing his actions can lead to serious consequences honestly made me more uninterested. But I could go on and on about how I don't like the book but I did notice and like how Rash gave grave details about the setting of the novel. "The land made a deep seesaw and the woods opened into a small meadow, at the center a battered green and white trailer, its back windows painted black."(page 28) I assume he writes like this throughout the book because it is based on Appalachian culture.
I will also add that Rash set up this story in a way that involves realism (the civil war) and how he ties that in with the present. It was also pretty weird but interesting at the same time that he added in supernatural things like ghost into the book like when Travis wore eyeglasses he saw and spoke to a relative ghost about the fish in the stream. All in all towards the end of the book when Travis is leaving I depicted it as him leaving his old life in the past and finally moving on to a better life.

Comments

  1. Niya, I know you say you don't like the book and that you couldn't relate, but I think it's interesting that you don't find it interesting that Travis is a problematic teenager who doesn't think about the consequences of his decisions before he makes them. Don't you wonder why he feels he can freely do what he want without a consequence? In some instances it's as though he knows there will be consequences but is just willing to take a risk. For example the way he goes back for more plants after Leonard told him not to, and when he does he strategically works his way through the bushes trying not to make noise. It's as though he enjoys living on the edge not knowing whats next. I was confused about the end. I was wondering if he just left town and planned to never speak to his family again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where someone would be turned off by the book because the main character is so reckless. But personally, I was interested because I wanted to know why in the world he did the things he did. Like, how could he go back and steal from the Toomeys even after Leonard told him it was a bad idea?! I guess it just comes down to Travis not being able to trust anyone, which is depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I had a hard time getting into this book as well, and the only reason I was able to was because I was fueled by anger.
    And I have to disagree with Lucy on what Travis' motives were for not taking Leonard's advice...I don't think it had to do with trust, but rather that Travis believed he knew better than Leonard. At this point in the novel especially, Travis is overconfident and had this level of pride that makes him believe he is impervious to harm and knows everything. That is what I gathered, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely. I wasn't interested in the novel either. I don't know if it's the structure or that there are way to many details like how the first couple of pages described him fishing. I did however, like the story behind it as it connected to Travis's generation and the civil War.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way about this book. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I wan't a fan of any of the characters or the story in general. I do love how you talk about the good parts of the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature