Hope Pierce- The Skin I'm In

The Skin I'm in is an excellent novel that makes the reader walk a day in the life of a bullied girl. The story covers a great deal of issues that not only effect girls, but kids everywhere. The main character, Maleeka struggles through poverty, bullying, lack of self-esteem, and having no real friends to support her. This has been one of the most enjoyable books that I have read this year. I really liked reading it, and I think that adolescents everywhere could benefit from. Throughout the course of the novel, Maleeka begins to accept and see herself as beautiful and independent. This would be a great book to teach in a school setting just because many adolescents have experienced what Maleeka does. And this girl goes through a lot in this novel. Pretty much the only positive influence that she gets in the book comes from the new teacher Ms. Saunders who understands what Maleeka is going through from personal experience. I really liked how Ms. Saunders made it a point to direct and guide Maleeka instead of casting her aside. She finds out that Maleeka has a gift for writing, and she encourages her and helps her cultivate it. I think that is an important think for teachers to do and I wish that mine had made me comfortable enough with them to have a relationship with them that allowed me to go to them when I needed help.  

Over the course of the novel, Maleeka begins to realize her importance and beauty. She stops listening to the bullies and decides to stand up for herself. She stops letting herself be used and strives for a better life. Like I said earlier, I loved reading this book. I guess it was the fact that it was different from all of the other books that we’ve read this semester. It was easier for me to relate to the characters in the book and identify with them, because I’ve walked in these shoes my whole life. Such an outstanding book, I hope that everyone could experience it’s beauty as I have.  

Comments

  1. Great description of the book. I was bullied harshly in middle and high school and it left me with a deep wound that haunts me to this day. I would definitely connect strongly with this novel, as you've portrayed it. I understand your wish for having been "comfortable enough with [teachers] to have a relationship with them...to go to them when [you] needed help." I've been in that predicament too, and was often jealous of those with that kind of connection to people. I would also agree to teach this to high school students as it is such an important topic, and it might even change some lives.
    A couple thoughts: as the novel covers heavier topics of racism, bullying, and poverty, how would introduce this to the classroom? Also, if you were a teacher, how would you make your students feel more comfortable in approaching you with their personal lives? Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novel sounds really interesting, I agree that all adolescents could benefit from this story because it teaches them how to be comfortable with themselves. I think your groups trailer portrayed the overall concept of the book really well. This is also a topic I can relate to personally as I think almost all people of color have experienced a dislike of some sort to their appearance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature