Technology Takeover - Feed


Feed by M.T. Anderson was a great, interesting read. When my group and I first picked this book to read I wasn’t too certain that I would like it, then after reading the first couple of pages, I was definitely sure that I wasn’t going to like the book, but after I kept reading and the story line picked up, I couldn’t put the book down. This is a YA novel that I normally would not read by my own choice, I’m usually a sucker for the cheesy love story, romantic YA novels but Feed is so DIFFERENT, and that’s what I loved about it the most.

Titus, the main character, and his friends live in the near future where taking spring break vacations to the moon is a thing and so is having a Feed in your head. To sum up the feed, it’s basically like having a computer in your head. Titus and his friends have become so accustomed to the feed that they cannot live properly without it, the feed controls their lives. From the way they do their hair and they clothes they wear, it is also decided by the feed. Whatever they think or want, the feed already knows and shows them ads constantly. They chat with each other on the feed and get their entertainment on the feed. But this way of life changes drastically for Titus when he meets Violet. Violet and his family are all against the feed and when Titus finds out why his world turns upside down.

This book was a great eye opener for me. It made me realize that with the way technology is expanding and now EVERYWHERE, our future could very much be just like Titus’ world. My generation is so attached to technology and smart phones that we cannot live without it. Smart phones are basically attached to our hands and social media takes over the mindset of adolescents and young adults, and when you think about it, this is actually very scary. When Titus and his friends get their feeds restored after being hacked he compares the feed being back to rain falling him and his friends, “And the feed was pouring in on us now, all of it, all of the feednet, and we could feel all of our favorites, and there were our files, and our m-chatlines. It came down on us like water. It came down like frickin' spring rains, and we were dancing in it” (70), like the feed is just a natural thing and to me that just seems to insane how much of an impact the feed has on Titus just like technology has on our generation now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature