The Curious Incident...

      Reading other students post about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time I am content to know that my negative feed back is not alone. As a future teacher that could possibly have students with ASD in my classroom it was interesting to have a story told by the point of view from a teen with ASD. I will say that although this was refreshing and positive and was really hard to keep up. I understand that what the author, Hannon , was doing with adding the detailed and dragging each of Christopher's experience he was showing the reader how he felt and it made it more authentic. The book was not long in itself, I feel that the details made it seem longer since it described every meltdown, every new experience, math problems etc... As a reader I would have like a little less and Haddon could have left it to the readers imagination.
                   Like Diary, Hannon, added a lot of illustrations of what Christopher used as coping mechanism. My favorite example of this is on pg (195). Not only does this show us yet another way Christopher mind works in the aspect of his math ability but how he used math and connects it to the "real" world. This also made the reader know that he did have a heavy emotional side within. I just love how he took this timetabled and talked about the past, future and present. It might have been a small part in the book but it really fascinated me. Although Danny, our classmate makes a valid point I enjoyed the ending of the story. As a mother, future teacher, and just fan of a great book I loved seeing Christopher leaning towards a new life. I enjoy the idea of a "happy" ending. As Carolina mentioned, maybe he is not outgrowing ASD but getting a better grasp and learning new ways to cope with what he has. Although I have not seen situations where someone completely outgrows a disability I have seen people cope and do their best with what they have. This book brought to mind a student we had a couple years ago, Ryan Sturgill, I use his name because his story made it to national news. The headlines read, student with downs got accepted to Clemson! He did not complete a normal 4 year degree there but was enrolled in a special 2 year program. The point is that it is possible to in ways suceced in way that other think is impossible. I love how at the end he had earned all this self confidence. He felt that he could go on and do better things because of all of the great things he had accomplished. He had solved the mystery, traveled alone and found his mother.

Comments

  1. Yes I am on the same boat with you on how much over loaded information is just handed to us rather than the reader actually having time to imagine their own insight. I also thought the book ended on a positive note and I was expecting that because Christopher went through so much negative situations. As a mother as well I think it is important for out kids to know their is always a light at the end of the tunnel even if they cannot see it from where they are standing. Positive vibe- positive life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature