The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian - Taylor Simmons

               Sherman Alexie did a wonderful job with the content of this book; such as the themes, symbolism and allegory he used. His use of themes, symbolism, and imagery helped me as a reader to make and visualize connections to the real world as well as to my own real life. The best way for me to describe this book is to use one word: real. After reading the novel in its entirety, I felt a sense of completeness. I did not feel empty or stuck at the end trying to figure out what happens next or why anything in the story happened the way it did. My personal motto is “everything happens for a reason” and I think that in this novel’s case, everything in Arnold’s life happened for a reason. It seems almost as though each event in his life connected to one another from beginning to end. The situations in this book such as alcoholism, death, violence, masturbation, and bulimia are real, severe problems but Alexie approaches these problems in a manner that allows the severity of situations to remain but does not make it “too” hard for adolescents to read.

Arnold is one of the most relatable characters I have encountered in the many books I have read. After reading Arnold’s story, it made me realize that I once was like him (somewhat) in my own life. As a young child, my family and I moved from Charleston, SC to Franklin, IN which was a MAJOR difference. Going from a primarily African American community to a primarily Caucasian community I felt like just like Arnold, like I was an outsider that did not belong. Arnold’s move to Reardan really resonated with me because it was just so easy for me to relate to. Alexie’s portrayal of adolescence through Arnold is perfect in many ways. Just like Arnold, many adolescents are insecure, many have troubles with their appearance just as Arnold does. Adolescents are confused and like Arnold they have trouble making decisions and majority of the decisions are impulsive, adolescents react without thinking. I also can relate to Arnold’s life when he was shunned from his fellow tribe members for leaving the reservation. I have had my own friends “shun” me and treat me differently for leaving home for college when then stayed and are still staying at home doing the same old things we once did in high school.


Overall this book was a recount of the hardships in Arnold’s life, and just like Arnold, we all go through them (in different ways). I love how Alexie shared these hardships in ways that are easy to read, in some cases. This book is an emotional roller-coaster, there are ups and downs, there is laughter and there are tears, which is a definite occurrence in the lives of many adolescents. 

Comments

  1. Taylor, I agree with you that this book is probably a book that almost anybody can relate to -- and I think that's probably a characteristic of adolescent literature in general. Everybody remembers their teenage years, and the horrible awkwardness that we all sometimes faced! I love how Alexie expresses that time in life, and presents it with humor and even provides hope for those reading. I love that the book had such a positive ending. I can imagine that your move was very difficult for you, much like Arnold's was for him, and I commend you on your bravery! In a much smaller sense (and certainly less severe) I moved from a private school to a public school in the second grade, and the change was shocking. Everything was totally different, and the adjustment was difficult to handle, even at such a young age. I can imagine that during adolescence, everything is heightened!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,
    I completey respect that you made the decision to go to college where you felt was home to you! I feel like you related to Arnold in the story, just like many other teens can! I love that Alexie can share that with his readers and make them feel more confident in their decisions! I know been years are probably some of the worst years in an individuals life, but just like Arnold, you chose to leave and get a college education while some of your friends are doing the same thing they've been doing for years. The fun and games of our youth will eventually end, and responsibilities will begin to present themselves. Responsibilities that you will be prepared for! You made the right decision, and I know it probably wasn't an easy one!

    Erika

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature