Danny: A Discussion of TATDoaPTI

                Sherman Alexie created an interesting and wonderful story. Junior is an extremely flawed, and thus relatable, character that I think almost everyone can bond to in some way. By the end of the novel, I found myself both rooting for him and worried as to what the consequences of his actions would be. I wanted him to succeed and achieve his dreams, but I also found myself scared as to what would happen if he attempted to push the limits too far.
                However, the book did leave several questions that I feel are important and need to be answered. Did Mary die because she failed to truly escape the grasp of the reservation? I knew she when she left the basement, that she would quickly serve as a foil character to Junior, but I never expected her death. Did she die in the flames because her dreams burned too? Speaking of death, does Eugene and Grandma Spirit’s deaths symbolize the inescapable violence that Indians suffered in colonialism? Finally, does Penelope, Gordy, Roger, and possible even all the students of Rearden High, symbolize the modern era, in which people are more accepting and welcoming to everyone?
                I understand Junior’s struggle with friendship, as I experienced something very close to what he did. I lost my best friend, then found myself struggling to make new ones. However, I did and I eventually could repair my friendship with those who abandoned me. I relate to Junior’s commitment to his decisions, regardless of the consequences that come about as a result. He sticks to his beliefs and refuses to give up.

                I strongly agree with Alexie’s idea of adolescence in The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Alexie shows this rough period in a blunt manner and allows it to be both funny and serious at the same time. Adolescence is a time of growth, decision, and self-realization. Junior can come into himself, growing and realizing who he is with the decisions that he makes within the novel. 

Comments

  1. I agree that we're able to connect to Jr because we are all flawed in some way. That's a really good connection. Also, your questions about Mary and the grandmother are so amazing. They really show you've applied yourself to the text and surrounding sources. I would have never connected all of those dots, but now it seems so clear that those events are symbolism. I wonder if we are more accepting or equally as awful? In this society, I believe that it is easy to find ways of acceptance, like through social media and organized groups. However, I believe there is just as much hate and prejudice in this world as there was many years ago. That is a good comparison, though! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny,
    I love that you were able to related to Junior in this story, especially knowing the feeling of losing a best friend. I believe that even though that may have been extremely difficult, I'm confident that it had something to do with shaping you into who you are today. We can all relate to his character in a small way, or more extreme way, and feel as if Alexie was reading our minds when he was writing the book! I'm also glad you have so many questions about the story! I'm not sure if the deaths had any deeper meaning, because Alexie did say that there were 7 deaths that year in his interview, but now I can't help but think more about it now that you brought it up! Definitely worth discussing! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature