The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian's Unreliable Narrator

    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie is both an inspiring and heartbreaking story. The genocide, racism, and brutality Native Americans have suffered through since colonization began centuries ago is among the worst crimes committed by humanity. Alexie’s main character in Diary, Junior, suffers through so much anguish and joy in this short book. His life is upended multiple ways in just one year, from the death of several people close to him to a difficult relationship between him and his best friend, and with his community as whole.

            While no one can doubt that this book is moving and the story important, I do think everyone has to consider whether or not our narrator, Junior, is reliable. I think the title of the book itself warrants the need for this conversation. The inclusion of the words “Absolutely” and “True” show that Alexie is trying to give readers a clue before they even start the book that Junior may not be reliable. I believe Junior is overcompensating; trying too hard to make us believe what is written here is true, rather than letting the simpler title, The Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

            I’m not saying that Junior is outright lying about anything in the book, I simply think he is exaggerating throughout, or adding in details a little later on that completely change the way a reader takes in his story. I think the first great example of this appears on page 21, where he talks about how the Andrus triplets beat him up and called him mean names because of his brain condition. This encounter makes sense, until: “The Andruss brothers laughed and walked away. Oh, by the way, did I mention that the Andruss triplets are thirty years old?” I think here Junior adds this detail to make the reader feel more outraged about what he has gone through. It, sadly, makes more sense if these triplets had been closer to Junior’s age.

            Another good example where I think Junior is exaggerating, or adding superfluous details is in the car ride home from school after he has learned that his sister died. On page 205 it says, “I was laughing so hard that I threw up a little bit in my mouth. I spit out a little piece of cantaloupe. Which was weird, because I don’t like cantaloupe. I’ve hated cantaloupe since I was a little kid. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d eaten the evil fruit. And then I remembered that my sister had always loved cantaloupe.” This part just doesn’t make sense to me, for the simple, scientific fact that the piece of cantaloupe Junior apparently spits out should have been somewhat digested.

            I don’t doubt that the events taking place in Diary actually occurred, but I believe Junior is unreliable and exaggerates more times than he doesn’t. 

Comments

  1. Hey Callum,
    I totally agree with you on the fact that this story is inspiring and totally heartbreaking at the same time. It deeply saddened me to read about the issues that the Native American culture has with alcohol abuse. I think you also point out a great point about the narrator. Can we, the reader, trust Junior? I like the points you make about Junior exaggerating. I do not know if I agree with you on the Andruss triplets being an exaggeration (mostly because throughout the entire novel everyone seems to like to get physical) but I totally agree that the cantaloupe was an exaggeration. I personally find Junior's exaggerations to make him a more likeable and relatable narrator. I know I would probably have an exaggeration or two when telling my life story to express to my audience to what extent certain situatiuions affected my life. On a side note, thank you for bringing up an aspect of Junior as the narrator I had not considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callum, I agree that the racism and brutality that Native Americans have experienced over the years is heartbreaking. Diary really opened my eyes to how harsh living conditions for Indians actually are. On the note of Arnold being a bit dramatic, I understand. I never thought about this at all actually, when reading. Looking back now, I see how he could be a bit dramatic. Or maybe, this says something about his character. Maybe this is how he must be to find enjoyment in life. Like cracking a joke about the cantaloupe and talking about his sister liking cantaloupe. In a way, I see it as his way of dealing with grief. Throughout life, I have found that people deal with grief in many of different ways. Grief and death are two common things in my life, whereas I have lost a lot of people, and people that I have been close to have lost people. Grief takes a toll on people in different ways. I see what you are saying about the thirty year old men. I did think that this was strange while reading, but Indian life is different than ours. So maybe, he is being truthful? The title does make you think though, why did the author have to call it "The Absolutely True"? I wonder if it is because he actually is unreliable and dramatic, or if Alexie was adding to the teenage vibe? Hm, it is something to think about. Thank you for considering this and bringing it to attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what you're saying about grief and how being dramatic may be a way Arnold deals with everything that is happening to him. Throughout Diary Arnold seems to life in every situation where he should be crying or breaking down. When his sister dies he doesn't ball his eyes out, he laughs. And when the reservation community literally turn their backs on him when he shows up to play basketball, an act that would probably break most people's spirits, Arnold just laughs. His exaggeration/sense for dramatics is probably another one of his coping mechanisms.

      Delete
  3. With the utmost respect for you and what you have written here, I disagree with you, Callum.

    Alexie himself says about True Diary in an award acceptance speech, "If I were to guess at the percentage, it would be about seventy-eight percent true." I found that speech here: https://www.hbook.com/?detailStory=absolutely-true-diary-part-time-indian-author-sherman-alexies-2008-bghb-fiction-award-speech You should read it. It's really interesting.

    "Absolutely" could be viewed as sarcasm, given the tone of the novel and Junior's personality, but it could also be referring to "absolute" in the amount of people who would be able to relate to it. It speaks not only of Alexie's past experience, but also of the poverty, despair, alcoholism, and so much more that is present on Indian reservations arguably as a result of post-colonialism. Additionally, the novel is "absolute" in that it accurately depicts what we know about adolescent development: Junior pushes boundaries, he looks for support and acceptance, he is trying to figure out who he is, he masturbates... The novel is authentic to the adolescent experience.

    I bring up the last point of masturbation to say maybe "Absolutely" is a warning to readers. Maybe it says, "Not everything in this novel is going to be pretty or politically correct, but life isn't always pretty and PC."

    I do think Junior is a reliable narrator, and my reasons for that is he presents the ugly of himself as well as the positive. I do not see the motive of him lying. He writes about rejection, he writes about being poor. He openly admits to lying in the Chapter titled "Dance Dance *" beginning on page 118, and the lesson that chapter teaches is that lying isn't worth it. I think page 127 best illustrates this point. He writes about having to admit to his new friends and the girl he likes that he is poor.

    So, I think Junior is reliable. Just giving you something to chew on.

    -Todd

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature