My Reaction to Diary

 The Absolute True Diary of a Part-time Indian was an intriguing novel. I feel like I have learned so much about the modern Native American culture. I had no idea how difficult living on a reservation today was. It left me feeling inspired, more informed and a little bit awakened. There was a lot that I liked about the book but there was also some that I did not necessarily care for. 

First of all, I loved the graphics all throughout the book. I felt like it added a different element that literature loses as we grow older as readers. I think that pictures appeal to visual learners, artists and adolescents as a whole. Many adolescents like to read graphic novels, and in that way this book would appeal to them. The graphics also help the reader learn more about our narrator, Arnold. For instance, the graphic on page 12, tells the reader that Arnold is a dreamer. He chooses to view his parents in a way that showcases their full potential. He wants to see them as the best versions of themselves instead of who they have chosen to be. It might also help the reader to infer that Arnold wants something better for himself as well. The graphics also add some comedic relief to the story and remind the reader that our narrator is only 14 years old. 

Another thing that I really liked about this book is the fact that our narrator is only 14 years old. I like that Alexie wrote like a 14 year old and that the reader can hear his voice. I also like that it is authentic in a way that most adolescents can relate to. Arnold is constantly dealing with his crazy emotions and his ever-present confusion. I feel that is an accurate depiction of an average adolescent. I also like that Arnold grows significantly throughout the book. At first the decision to go to Reardan was a spontaneous one that he had not really thought out. Arnold struggles with fitting in and feeling the need to choose between the two worlds that he lives in. But by the end of the book, he knows what he wants. On page 171, Arnold expresses his desire and his "need for books". He leans on books for comfort and stability. And on page 176, Arnold expresses the joy that comes from the friends he has made. He learns how to cope on his own. He starts to grow up. And then on page 217, Arnold learns that he is not alone and he starts to make connections with people that go beyond their race. 

While I enjoyed the book overall, I don't think that I would be comfortable teaching from it in my own classroom. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that there are parts where the book is unnecessarily inappropriate. I feel that the story would have been better without all of the sexual allusions. The message itself is strong enough to stand alone. So, while I liked the book, I don't think it is one that I will be incorporating into my curriculum. 

  

Comments

  1. Candace, I totally agree with you. I never really took the time to think about Indian lifestyles and how hard it is for them. Then as I read, saw what Arnold had to go through, what his family lives through, and his friends, I thought about how hard life is for Indian people. I thought back to history class and the Trail of Tears, and how Indians weren't seen as people, more of a waste of space. Back then, the government thought that these people were nothing, and even through this book we see this stereotype, and that Indian life is very difficult.
    I also agree that the drawings were a good touch and revealed a lot about Arnold's character. We learn from the beginning that he likes to draw, and I love how his drawings are included throughout the book. It's exciting getting to a page with illustrations to explain Arnold's thoughts.
    I agree that there are touchy subjects, and parts that could have been left out. For example, page 26, when Arnold discusses masturbation and claims that, "..if God hadn't wanted us to masturbate, then God wouldn't have given us thumbs." Yeah, he could have left that part out. I didn't like that he brought in religion to this part; it was very derogatory. Overall, I loved the book, but I don't know if I'd teach it to my ninth graders, possibly eleventh or 12th grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to piggy-back off of what you two are talking about here. I totally see where you are coming from, Candace. Some parts of this book, especially the sexual allusions, will definitely make people uncomfortable, and I can see why that would make you not want to teach this book in your classroom. And Tori, I totally see where you are coming from when you say you would prefer to teach this book to 11th/12th grade students; they should be more mature than freshman. But Candace also pointed out that Junior is 14. How many times in high school did you read a book with a character the same age as you? The only one I can think of right now is 'Night' by Elie Wiesel, but it is almost impossible for any high school student today to be able to connect with a boy who is living in a Nazi concentration camp. While it is will be difficult for non-Native American students, who have never lived on a reservation, to connect to Arnold, there are still aspects of 'Diary' I think all students can connect with. Teaching 'Diary,' with a 14 year old narrator, to 14 year old students will show them that there are books with people like them out there. It will show young girls that others are dealing with eating disorders. It will show young boys that they are allowed to feel, and they don't have to "man up" and hide what they are feeling.

      Again, I totally see where you are both coming from when you say this book might cause an uncomfortable environment in classrooms. But I think the conversations we as a society need to be having—the conversations that are the most important if we want our generation and the next generation to be better than the ones before us—are the ones that make us uncomfortable.

      Delete
  2. I like that you mentioned the graphics/images throughout the book. I for one wasn't a fan of them—I think mainly because my fifth grade teacher told us we weren't in elementary school anymore and picture books were for children. I know he's wrong, but his statement drilled into my head, so when I was reading Diary I wanted the images to be replaced by more text.

    I also liked that you brought up how lost of teenagers like to read graphic novels. Like my rude fifth grade teacher, I think there are plenty of teachers out there who believe reading means taking in a story via a physical book. I once had a teacher who thought reading on a tablet/Kindle didn't count as real reading. We need to change what it means to be an active reader in schools so more students are encouraged to consume stories/information in the way they most enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature