painful reality

The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas is a story that highlights the story of a young Black adolescent named Starr. Starr handles death, gang violence, and racial inequities. To think this was enough, Starr must navigate these traumatic situations while code-switching. Angie Thomas does a great job of portraying how people of color, especially Black people, must code-switch to protect themselves. Many will code-switch while speaking to a Professor or during a job interview. People of color must code-switch to protect themselves from stereotypes and potential harassment. 

Readers see Starr navigating two distinct personalities to protect herself in her society. Readers are introduced to Williamson Starr and Garden Heights Starr. Williamson Starr is the approachable kind, Black girl. Garden Heights Starr is the real her, the sneakerhead that feels comfortable using slang. "Williamson Starr holds her tongue when people piss her off so nobody will think she’s the “angry black girl.” Williamson Starr is approachable. No stank-eyes, side-eyes, none of that. Williamson Starr is nonconfrontational. Williamson Starr doesn’t give anyone a reason to call her ghetto" (Thomas 35). Once Starr's best friend Khalil is murdered, we see her become uncomfortable switching between her two selves. Starr must decide who she is and find her voice in a time of strife. 

I relate to this story because I understand having to code-switch to protect myself. When interacting with police or any authority figure, I am never allowed to show true emotions in fear that I will be labeled the "angry Black woman". Watching my counterparts be able to express their frustration without fear, can sometimes make me bitter or envious. Angie Thomas does a great job highlighting the fear that enters a person of color when we are showing our true expressions, only to be interrupted by those in power. "A familiar whoop-whoop sound alarms us. Oh God. The patrol car with flashing lights cruises down the street. It stops next to Daddy and Mr. Lewis. Two officers get out. One black, one white. Their hands linger too close to the guns at their waists. No, no, no. " (Thomas 87). Unfortunately, we live in a society where code-switching is necessary to survive for people of color. The optimistic side of me hopes that this will cease to exist. The other side of me believes we will constantly be naming names of those who suffered due to racial inequities. 

Comments

  1. Great post A'Keriah! I agree with you that Starr feels uncomfortable having to code switch daily, in order to protect her true identity. But I don't think her uncomfortability with switching starts once Khalil is murdered; I think she's always been uncomfortable and unhappy with the fact that she has to wear this "mask"- whether in Williamson or Garden Heights. I love your openness about the bitterness and envy that forms when watching your counterparts be themselves. I'm assuming, when you say counterparts, you mean white people. Because I totally can relate to that feeling. I find myself constantly code switching when in the presence of white people, whether at work or in school. I feel like I can never use my natural dialect or express my natural emotions, or I might be identified as the "extra black woman" or the "angry black woman". As you said, code switching is necessary for people of color to survive in this society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, A'keriah! First of all, thank you for sharing your personal experiences with us. I can't imagine having to code switch so regularly. Like you pointed out, many of us do it when we interview or are at work... The way I talk to my clients is not the way I talk to you guys at school. I speak properly with intention, and it's exhausting. I couldn't keep it up for a long period of time. I only do it to be and appear more professional, however. Reading Starr's story, and hearing how you and others have to do it in real life to not be called "extra" or "angry" like Aniya shared, is really sad to hear. I've known you for a few semesters now, A'keriah, and I have always admired your vulnerability and willingness to share real experiences. It's eye-opening, and you have really helped me expand my worldviews. I hope you never have the insecurity of appearing "ghetto" or "angry" or whatever around us. You're a really good, funny, authentic, and interesting person to be around and I enjoy our classes together. I feel like us middle school majors have gotten really close this past year.

    Back to the novel, I agree with you that Starr is code-switching to protect herself. I think as the novel goes on we see her become more and more frustrated because it begins to wear at her. Code switching is not something anyone should be forced to do long term. She was literally dating a guy who did not know the "real" Starr, and that kind of brought to light the gravity of her situation for me. I think Khalil's death fast forwarded the frustration and wearing-out code switching brought, but I think Starr would have gotten sick of it eventually anyway. It's no way to live.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature